Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bypass a failing NSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bypass a failing NSS

I've been doing some reading and I've seen some talk about using a pushbutton start to bypass the NSS when it starts to fail, mine is in horrible shape and I'm tired of climbing under my jeep with pliers to jump my starter.

Have any of you done this or seen it done? My understanding of it was to run a direct hot with an inline fuse to a push button or switch, and run the other end of the button to the starter solenoid so that when you turn you car to "run" you just push the button and it turns over the starter rather than replacing or cleaning the NSS.

If any of you has done it, seen it or have an opinion I'd like to hear your thoughts before I do it. This is looking to be a project for next tuesday night, when I move into my new place with a garage and...A cleaning lady twice a month who cleans my house and changes my bedding!

Also will be getting the old girl to work on it with me so will have some pics of a girl being a grease monkey for all those who enjoy seeing it!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Did it on my girlfriends and it works great. And if its hidden it's a bit of a theft deterrent
Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by white99xjclassic
Did it on my girlfriends and it works great. And if its hidden it's a bit of a theft deterrent
Cool, glad to hear that I'm not the only one too cheap to replace the NSS and too lazy to clean it lol.

I was thinking of putting a round red button in plain view just to show it off lol, maybe I won't though, using it as a theft-deterrent is a good idea. I will probably wire in a kill switch at the same time I'm doing this.

What gauge wires did you use & did you incorporate a fuse? If so, what kind of fuse did you use and how big is it? I don't know much about electrical systems except that they're dangerous if you wire it up wrong lol
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Probably should've run a fuse but didn't. I was in a pinch when we did it. Ya don't need anything heavy as far as wire either. Good luck with the fix.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by white99xjclassic
Probably should've run a fuse but didn't. I was in a pinch when we did it. Ya don't need anything heavy as far as wire either. Good luck with the fix.
Thanks! I'll be sure to put some pics up, gonna make a how to for everything I do as I go