Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

buying an xj with rust. is this beyond repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default buying an xj with rust. is this beyond repair?

about to pull the trigger my first xj. ive already looked at the vehicle in person and its in great shape for the year runs and drives great, exhaust manifold already been replaced etc. all good exept for the rust on the floor panels. i know they can be patched but this one looks rusted awfully close to the unibody frame rail and oposing rocker. what do you guys think? worth it or not?
pics of rust on the craigslist link.
thanks

https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/d...233715542.html
Old 08-09-2017, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

That looks like some pretty serious rust to me. Its in bad spots too. I would pass.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
That looks like some pretty serious rust to me. Its in bad spots too. I would pass.
I agree....seems like a lot of work to me and that's just what you can see....i would venture to say there is a lot more hidden.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I agree....seems like a lot of work to me and that's just what you can see....i would venture to say there is a lot more hidden.
X3, while I wouldn't say it is "beyond repair" (though without good pics of the uni-frame rails its hard to be 100% certain), but it will definitely be a pain in the a** and I'd gladly pay more (and travel if necessary, rust-free XJs are becoming scarce up north, but are still fairly plentiful down south where they don't use road salt) for a rust-free (or nearly so) Jeep and deal with that one.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That one looks like a parts jeep to me,That rust is in bad places so unless you can't weld and fab thats not the jeep for you.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Agree with all thats been said, i'd pass on it.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on whether you have the skills to fix it or hire it done. In the pictures, it looks like floorpans, but I would really look over the frame rails, spring mounts, etc to see if those areas are solid. Just floorpans aren't that hard if you have a few tools and a welder, or even if you rent a welder, but it is a l to of work.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have some body shop skills but I've never dealt with rust before. I don't mind tearing out the interior and welding in new sheet metal on floor pans. The thing that worry's me is what I can't see. Worried about that frame rail in the inside. It's just so tempting for the price lol. I can't even find a clean stock one for under 3k in my area. Zjs are still super cheap around me but I've already been there done that wanted to try out an xj.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

You're in Daytona? Look at Jacksonville, Orlando, and Gainesville and you'll find one easy.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by tlr386
Thanks for the input guys. I have some body shop skills but I've never dealt with rust before. I don't mind tearing out the interior and welding in new sheet metal on floor pans. The thing that worry's me is what I can't see. Worried about that frame rail in the inside. It's just so tempting for the price lol. I can't even find a clean stock one for under 3k in my area. Zjs are still super cheap around me but I've already been there done that wanted to try out an xj.
Mine is just the floorpans because water was leaking in at the cowl, which is pretty common. The inside of the frame rails looked rust free because they have drains. Check at the rear, near the spring hangers. That's an area that would be hard to fix.

I wouldnt pay pay asking price on it either.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Here's what mine look like
Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by tlr386
This was the post I was waiting for. I just knew it was the price that got ya.

You get what you pay for. That one needs work, and you're right, it's what you DON'T see.

Don't be fooled by a low price. Be patient. The right one will come along. May cost more, but look at it like this...

Buy Cheap XJ. Put tons of time, money, and materials into it, just to get it road worthy

OR

Buy reasonably priced XJ. Save time and money not doing rust repair, and dump said coin into getting it in prime shape, then mods.

Be patient. Things will happen the right way, just takes time.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I rather replace a engine or trans then do major rust repairs,Mostly because i don't have a welder and really only know the basics on welding.But like said id save up and wait for the right one to come my way,91-99 as clean and as virgin as you can find.This way you got a good jeep to start with and can do it however you want it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM

See I'm the opposite I worked in a body shop for 2 years mostly on BMWs and high end cars but I have no experience with rust it never really crossed my mind here in the south until I started looking at jeeps lol seems 2 out of every 3 I look at need rockers or floors replaced. But yeah I'm just going to look for a clean stock one hopefully cheap and I will just do the lift etc my self so I know it's done right.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its just floor rust, ive repaired more than that on mine. Its a ok deal if the jeep has decent parts, or axle work, sye? The tires are ok, for mild wheeling. Starting from stock is expensive, but at least you know what was done. I can't even fathom all the $ and time I spent before I was running 35's with a decent lift and running gear.