XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying a Jeep, some advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Buying a Jeep, some advice please?

I am thinking of buying a jeep. I am confused from reading this and that so thought I would come to the experts.

I am taking it to Mexico, and am a woman traveling alone with my German Shepherd so need it to be a reliable vehicle most of all. I was looking at the 4runners but they just seem so overpriced, example: $6000 for a 97 with 225K? And they won't budge! so, have started leaning towards a jeep.

My mom had a jeep cherokee from the late 90's and it seemed to always have issues. I think they replaced the fuel pump 3 times before it hit 130K and lots of other stuff. My uncle however, had a Jeep Sport that was it was much more bare bones and just seemed to go on and on and on. I do remember him saying that the 4.0L engine was solid, but it looks like the 99+ models had some real issues with the head cracking? Are we talking 2% or 20% of jeep sports?

I was looking at vehicles here at a local dealer wanted to get an opinion on either of them. I have had several people I know purchase from the dealer and everyone seemed pretty happy with their cars and their experience with the dealer so will probably buy from them.

I was most interested in these 2? Any thoughts? Advice? Things to look out for? How long could you expect these jeeps to run without major issues?

http://www.elite-auto-sales.com/2004..._185277054.veh

http://www.elite-auto-sales.com/2000..._193230095.veh
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: one guess

Driving to mexico is risky..esp for a gal..even with the GSD.

IMO buying a new vehicle and putting it to the test on a big road trip is not always the best idea.

If you do not know much about cars I suggest hiring a good mechanic to give it a once over.

I own a 89 Jeep Cherokee with 250k and she still runs smooth as silk. But I am a maintainance freak.
Buying from someone else who knows what you may be getting into.

Why Mexico?

Last edited by mister k; 06-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mister k
Driving to mexico is risky..esp for a gal..even with the GSD.

IMO buying a new vechicle and putting it to the test on a big road trip is not always the best idea.

I live there part time already, the biggest issue is driving it from the east coast to Mexico, once inside Mexico, labor rates go from $100/hr to $5/hr !! While broken down I would have to stay in expensive hotels on the road too, vs cheaper hotels in Mexico..... having said this, I would prefer it not to break down at all!

I will be here in the US for another 3 weeks so was hoping to get something soon to make sure work out any kinks before heading off...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Dont get a 2000 XJ. I would avoid dealers too... I don't trust them.. I find a good used stock one from a private owner. early 99 or older.