Bought my second Jeep today

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO Inline 6
Default Bought my second Jeep today

Got a text from my friend about a couple MJ's for sale. Immediately I was interested and drove over to take a look at them. The white MJ was an 88' long bed with a 5 speed & straight 6 with 121k miles. The red MJ was an 87' short bed with a 4 speed & straight 4 with 182k miles. Both 2wd but I planed to swap to 4wd later on (the 4.0 has way more tranny options for the swap vs/ the 2.5). Today I test drove both, the 88' had a lot more power, felt tighter, and was in way better shape. The red one would have needed a new bench seat at the minimum (torn up pretty bad), the headliner was falling down, the left side blinker didn't work, the exhaust pipe was pretty rinky dink, plus it was only a 2.5 litre which would be disappointing after owning a 4.0 XJ. So I made the decision and got a killer deal on the white MJ for $800. So far all I have done is vacuum the interior out, still gotta change the oil, detail the interior, pressure wash it, clean the engine, and look into converting the cooling system to the 91+ open type cooling system (Already have a radiator on hand). So needless to say it's just another Jeep, Just Empty Every Pocket.

Bought my second Jeep today-013.jpgBought my second Jeep today-010.jpg
Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

long beds with really high lifts look really good. Nice MJ!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by studmuffin
long beds with really high lifts look really good. Nice MJ!
Thanks! I hear ya on the lift, but for now I think I am gonna lift the XJ first (4.5" on 33's I think).
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Did a little bit of cleaning to the MJ today, interior still needs a little work though. I also pressure washed the exterior, it has a little rust here and there that needs addressed but overall it is solid. Already threw on my new steering wheel cover, more to come! Next is probably changing the oil, picked up some synthetic last night and a filter. However I do have a few questions...

I am new to the Renix system, I am tempted to convert the cooling system to a 91+ system since I already have a spare radiator. So all I would need would be a new overflow bottle and a heater valve right?

Since it is 2wd I plan to convert it to 4wd, since it is running a 5 speed would it be simple to get another 5 speed and swap it in?

What all will I need for the conversion? So far I have tranny (preferably 5 speed), transfer case, drive shafts, front axle (more than likely a Dana 30 for now). Am I missing anything? (this project is a few months out)

Where is the dip stick for my current transmission? On my XJ it is right behind the engine oil dipstick (AW4), can't seem to find it on the MJ.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Bought my second Jeep today-mj-xj.jpg   Bought my second Jeep today-002.jpg   Bought my second Jeep today-006.jpg   Bought my second Jeep today-011.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Nice buy. You don't have a dipstick. You have a drain plug and fill plug on the transmission. I just learned that this week. Enjoy the MJ.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
Nice buy. You don't have a dipstick. You have a drain plug and fill plug on the transmission. I just learned that this week. Enjoy the MJ.
Interesting, I woulda thought it would be like the XJ & AW4, learn something every day. Thanks!