Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BIG QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default BIG QUESTION

ok I have a 2wd 1994 xj and I want to to if I should lock it or not and if I locked it wouldnt it be possy trac let me know
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

No it would not be posi if it was locked. If you have spare money for locking a 200 horsepower truck that you can't off-road, or you have plans to make it 4x4 later, go for it.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by HCCAFan
No it would not be posi if it was locked. If you have spare money for locking a 200 horsepower truck that you can't off-road, or you have plans to make it 4x4 later, go for it.
Then what is possi
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

"A positraction differential is a special traction differential. Its purpose is to improve the way your differential performs under adverse conditions. When one wheel starts to slip, these differentials transfer the torque to the wheel that is not slipping. The car can then continue to go forward. There are several different kinds of positraction differentials, but all of them are based on a friction device to provide resistance to normal differential operation.

A positraction differential provides better traction, which is handy when roads are slippery. It also lends itself to fast acceleration.

One type uses four differential pinions instead of two, with two pinion shafts. It also uses a series of four clutch discs. The differential pinions run into resistance when they try to turn the axle side gears. The resistance gets transferred to the pinion shafts driving the pinions. The shafts are forced to slide up little ramps. This action moves both shafts outward. The pinions cause the clutches to lock.

Other types use cone clutches, or disc clutches under pressure from coil springs. By restricting the differential action, torque is delivered to the slipping wheel."

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library...erential.shtml
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 PM

"A positraction differential is a special traction differential. Its purpose is to improve the way your differential performs under adverse conditions. When one wheel starts to slip, these differentials transfer the torque to the wheel that is not slipping. The car can then continue to go forward. There are several different kinds of positraction differentials, but all of them are based on a friction device to provide resistance to normal differential operation.

A positraction differential provides better traction, which is handy when roads are slippery. It also lends itself to fast acceleration.

One type uses four differential pinions instead of two, with two pinion shafts. It also uses a series of four clutch discs. The differential pinions run into resistance when they try to turn the axle side gears. The resistance gets transferred to the pinion shafts driving the pinions. The shafts are forced to slide up little ramps. This action moves both shafts outward. The pinions cause the clutches to lock.

Other types use cone clutches, or disc clutches under pressure from coil springs. By restricting the differential action, torque is delivered to the slipping wheel."

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library...erential.shtml
So would locking it be a good idea or wat
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Guess it depends on what you want to do man. It will give you better traction but you will still be worse off than a stock 4x4.

I guess you could lock it of you want to jack it up and make it a desert runner.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM

Guess it depends on what you want to do man. It will give you better traction but you will still be worse off than a stock 4x4.

I guess you could lock it of you want to jack it up and make it a desert runner.
Yea that wat I was thinking cause I dont want to be a serious wheeler I just want to go out here and there and have some fun like go through some mud and stuff I want to for more look the wheeling cause im in high school gotta show some swag
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Stealth2461
Yea that wat I was thinking cause I dont want to be a serious wheeler I just want to go out here and there and have some fun like go through some mud and stuff I want to for more look the wheeling cause im in high school gotta show some swag
Sell it and get a 4x4 one! If you play your cards right you can probably get enough to buy one after selling yours and saving what you'd spend on the locker.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Sell it and get a 4x4 one! If you play your cards right you can probably get enough to buy one after selling yours and saving what you'd spend on the locker.
Locking it just welding the spider looking gear in the axle and I could do that my self
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Would suck for daily driving on concrete.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM

Would suck for daily driving on concrete.
Y is that
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Because it would bind up and the inside tire would drag when turning. It would also eat tires and cause more drivetrain wear.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Because it would bind up and the inside tire would drag when turning. It would also eat tires and cause more drivetrain wear.
O ok Im just gona make it look cool and then sell it
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Good plan!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 PM