Battry size

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Question Battry size

Hi,

What's the correct Battry size for a V6 Jeep?

I use AC Delco battries with the siz: 34-72, but I think the electricity is weak bekoz the dashboard light is weak and looks a bit dark...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Well, not sure on the battery size, but the weak dashboard lights may be one of a few things... First of all, how long ago did this start?

The alternator may not be cranking out enough power... this is doubtful though because if the dash lights are dim, the headlights and radio would be worse...

Also, the dash lights may be adjustable. The ones in my WJ are and that confused me the day I got it lol. I was driving home in the dark and I could hardly read the time.

If yours is the same as mine, there should be a **** on the turn signal lever that adjusts the brightness...

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Well, not sure on the battery size, but the weak dashboard lights may be one of a few things... First of all, how long ago did this start?

The alternator may not be cranking out enough power... this is doubtful though because if the dash lights are dim, the headlights and radio would be worse...

Also, the dash lights may be adjustable. The ones in my WJ are and that confused me the day I got it lol. I was driving home in the dark and I could hardly read the time.

If yours is the same as mine, there should be a **** on the turn signal lever that adjusts the brightness...

Hope this helps.
many thanks ... but mine is not adjustable
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 AM

I found a booklet contains info. about battrry size for differnt cars with a Pakistani electrition. He gave me 2 #s for batries, one is 34-60 which I bought. Next time I'll show you a pic. of the batrry name; Antara "American Premium"!!

Last edited by Arab1970; 08-24-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Antara was a very courageous and strong man, who lived a long time ago. Befor Islam. He fought for his tribe....
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Exactly what sort of Jeep do you have? The dimmer for the panel lamps could be in any of a number of locations:

up to 1996XJ, it would be the headlamp switch itself (the **** turns.)
Other years/models, it could be either the "stalk" for the turn indicator, or could be a separate dial from the lamp switch proper - a separate dimmer would usually be indicated by a ramp symbol next to a picture of a light bulb.

Since you aren't saying anything about your headlamps being dim, I'm inclined to think dimmer switch as well.

You might also want to bear in mind that when you talk about "size" of a battery, what you're talking about is the (usually) BCI Group Number - which governs the physical size of the battery case and location of terminal posts. The "ratings" of a battery - usually CCA/Cold Cranking Amps and RC/Reserve Capacity, may also include HCA/Hot Cranking Amps - are only slightly dependent on the physical size of the battery, and have to do with internal plate area. Given that power density of automotive batteries is always on the increase, it's almost a given that a replacement battery will exceed the ratings on the OEM battery.

CCA = Cold Cranking Amps, or instantaneous supply available at 0*F.
HCA = Hot Cranking Amps, or instantaneous supply available at (I think) 100*F
RC = Reserve Capacity, listed in Ampere-hours (Ah.) This is "how much" current can be drawn for "how long" - for instance, a 120 Ah battery can supply 120A for one hour/60A for two hours, 30A for four hours, 10A for twelve hours - OR - 240A for one-half hour, 480A for fifteen minutes, or any other total that can be multipliled out to 120Ah, or 120 amperes for one hour.