Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Battery/alt ???

Ok 99 xj Classic with 4wd

So I ordered some fuel injectors to do the swap and I changed them out every thing went fine, or so I thought. After reconnecting everything to included the neg battery terminal I turned the key in and off a few times. There was enough power that my lights and everything were on. I went to start my jeep and it started to crank then I lost all power. I thought maybe I didn't righted the terminal down so I went and took it all the way off out it back on and tightened it. Tried again and the same thing happened. So I grabbed the charger be set it to med charge and hooked it up then I noticed it has an option for "start" idk how to use that properly but I'm impatient so of course I turned the dial hoped in the jeep and tried to start it same thing happened, lost power. So i tired the dial back to med charge and set the timer for 120mins and left when I left my hood light was on I remember cause I unplugged it. When I got back the time had been well up so I disconnected and tried to start it. This time when I put the key in i had absolutely no power at all. Now I'm lost .... I have the battery out of the jeep now and it's charging. Could this be the alternator or is there some way I caused this with the fuel injectors ? I'm so lost.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Year: 1996

Clean all grounds and connections.
Report back!
Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 PM

One thing I found wrong is I need a new positive battery cable and I should get new terminals as well. Are the cables very hard to switch out ?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Do what kingfisher recod first
Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 PM

Got it started so that's good I've been driving it i Cleaned the terminals and connections but my positive cable is still in bad shape It needs to be replaced and I can't seem to find one that matches up. I went to the auto parts store and got a cable but the one on my xj has a cable goog to the fuse box that is the same thickness or gauge ? As the one going down and the auto store only sells cables that have two different sizes. I know I'm probably not explaining this very well... dde14

Last edited by wakymilo; 11-19-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by wakymilo
Got it started so that's good I've been driving it i Cleaned the terminals and connections but my positive cable is still in bad shape It needs to be replaced and I can't seem to find one that matches up. I went to the auto parts store and got a cable but the one on my xj has a cable goog to the fuse box that is the same thickness or gauge ? As the one going down and the auto store only sells cables that have two different sizes. I know I'm probably not explaining this very well... dde14
Go here http://www.kelleyswip.com for upgrade battery cables. Send him an email and he'll tell you exactly what you need. Plenty of forum members use his cables with great results.