Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Around how much should I pay for this XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Around how much should I pay for this XJ?

Hi everyone. I've been looking on craigslist in my area, for months and months, for a pre-'97 4x4 2-door XJ Sport and one has finally popped up, in better shape than I expected to see one in! I plan on calling the seller to see it tomorrow morning. This is the information in his ad verbatim:

"Has a lot of new parts brakes, tires, battery
aprx 210 thousand miles on car
Replaced Engine with new Engine(not used engine)
When engine was replaced all belts, hoses, radiator water pump etc
Good solid reliable car. Detachable face CD Player w remote
Has two dents shown in pic.
AC is ice cold belt squeaks when turn on so may want to have it looked at. Has some other small flaws from age with some love could be better."

Also, the front bumper is bent in. I know you can't put an exact value on it without all the information, but given what's here, what would you guys say this Cherokee is worth around? Thanks!

Edit:
I found out that it has an automatic transmission. There is no rust anywhere. The new engine has 30,000 miles on it. The radiator, water pump, hoses and serpentine belt were replaced when the new engine was put in. Last week he replaced the battey and brakes.
Attached Images     

Last edited by MattyMcFly; 05-11-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MattyMcFly
Hi everyone. I've been looking on craigslist in my area, for months and months, for a pre-'97 4x4 2-door XJ Sport and one has finally popped up, in better shape than I expected to see one in! I plan on calling the seller to see it tomorrow morning. This is the information in his ad verbatim:

"Has a lot of new parts brakes, tires, battery
aprx 210 thousand miles on car
Replaced Engine with new Engine(not used engine)
When engine was replaced all belts, hoses, radiator water pump etc
Good solid reliable car. Detachable face CD Player w remote
Has two dents shown in pic.
AC is ice cold belt squeaks when turn on so may want to have it looked at. Has some other small flaws from age with some love could be better."

Also, the front bumper is bent in. I know you can't put an exact value on it without all the information, but given what's here, what would you guys say this Cherokee is worth around? Thanks!
its nice looking i prefer the 97+ but this looks cool and i well pay 2000-2500 because its 2 door + there is new engine + it looks nice
Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

2k to 3k range to me.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Year: 1996

its still a cherokee with 210 on the clock with some dings and dents.... 1500 tops imo remember just cuz the motors new doesn't mean the rest of the drivetrain isn't beat to ****
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I'm not sure on the year and you did not post it but will give you an idea that I have been using too buy for over 40 yrs. Check to see what the loan value on it is first then the sell price (private parity) fair condition using the mileage only and 4wd for adds. Then you will have an idea of what it may be worth at least and a bargaining chip at least. Just let him tell what he wants then counter with what the bank will loan if he is high on price.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I'm not sure on the year and you did not post it but will give you an idea that I have been using too buy for over 40 yrs. Check to see what the loan value on it is first then the sell price (private parity) fair condition using the mileage only and 4wd for adds. Then you will have an idea of what it may be worth at least and a bargaining chip at least. Just let him tell what he wants then counter with what the bank will loan if he is high on price.
Haha! Wow I can't believe I forgot to put the year!! It's a '96. But thank you I'll make sure to do that.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

KBB, good condition, 2K. Depending on the amount damage it could easily slip to fair condition @ $1,600.