Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 AM

Location: Paradise actually. Also known as Central New Mexico @ 7 K feet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default Air Conditioner woes

XJ was close to 73 k miles when I got it from the original owner. The air conditioner is not currently working. I believe I'm looking at the correct component here... looking into the engine area over the radiator it's on the left of center of radiator and right on top of the motor. Two couplings exit the compressor one above the other. The coupling on the bottom is stained a dark engine gunk color and looks like it's been that way for a while.

With the low mileage it seems like a look for leaks and recharging the system might get it running. Wishful thinking or ? It's all I have right now.

Are these compressors as robust as the engine is reported to be. Or should I be applying for a loan? Love the hear anyone's thoughts.

Ron
Old 04-24-2017, 03:17 AM

I didn't find much about the AC system or my problem in my searches. Saw some AC Pro vids on recharging the system with their stuff. They didn't mention checking for leaks.

What are the experiences of those of you who have tryed recharging with the AC Pro stuff. Is it possible that leaks will be evident during the attempt at charging the sys.?

Does their stuff really seal leaks and O rings. Also how about matching the 87 couplings with newer charging kits? Thanks for your time.

Ron
Old 04-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Would be best to take it to someone with AC equipment and knowhow. Will need to test system for leaks. Will need to pull a vacuum on system to properly fill it. May need to replace a part or two (accumulator) if system was empty of freon.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Thanks I'll probably wind up going that route.

Ron
Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With yours being a 87 it takes r12 unless someone changed it over.r12 is not something you can legally buy with out a license to get it.The r134a which came out mid 90s anyone can buy and a lot of people change over the older system to it.Like said i would have a pro mess with it,They can put dye in the system and pump it down they will find any leak it is.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Whatever you do - make sure you pull vacuum to verify that you don't have any leaky o-rings or fittings, otherwise you will just be wasting refrigerant which is more expensive than fixing the problem properly.

I would definitely change the A/C Drier out if it has been sitting for a while
Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 AM

Thanks to both of you for the info. It makes sense to do the vacuum check and also the change over to the newer system.

Ron
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 AM
CF Veteran

The system is sealed so it leaked out somewhere,A vacuum is a good test and also will suck out any moisture in the system which is bad.The dye you can get alone or can get it in r134a cans now,It will glow under a black light which they sell a kit thats a small pen size black light and a pair of yellow glasses that help make it show up.The bad part of that you gotta look over every conection in the system and if you don't find it then its probably the evaporator which is inside the heater core box inside the dash a nightmare to change you gotta pull the whole dash to get to it.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM

bummer! my one ray of hope is that there is a stain on the lower coupling. Otherwise I'm screwed.

I appreciate the help very much no matter what.

Ron
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

The ac condenser is in front the radiator a rock could have taken it out also.Its hard to say whats wrong with out it in front of me.But i wish you luck with it let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:41 AM

Thanks, didn't know about the condenser location.

Ron
Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Hey Andrew and those of you helping with the AC system, I was reading thru one of Anderew's posts in this thread and wondered..... because of my ignorance on the subject, why not get the component that lives in the dash and mount it elsewhere? Does it have to be near that heater core to be happy ?

I talked to Jim @ envirosafe refrigerants yesterday. The components to recharge it and convert the couplings to something legal are inexpensive but I know I don't have the whole story yet. If the component in the dash doesn't leak, I'd just need to replace the two hoses that leaked and pump the air out to be ready to go. I'm probably over simplifying this please set me straight if I am.

Ron
Old 05-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Just had another thought, since I only want to do this once, what is the minimum capacity for a less than pro level vacuum pump to the job. I'd probably need gauges too.
Ron
Old 05-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The AC component in dash resides inside airbox. It resembles a radiator or heater core. It provides the cold, the blower fan provides the airflow. It must be in airbox to function properly.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah the evaporator has to be where its at to work right.On older cars the heater box was under the hood which made things easier sometimes.Sometime in the late 80s most cars and trucks shoved the heater box under the dash to save room under the hood.Some things you can remove it with out taking out the whole dash but the jeeps and lot of cars you gotta take out the whole dash.But with a jeep of your age it could be any part that caused the leak even as simple as a o ring gave out.I would let that ac company do their work on it.Worse case it leaks out r134a is like 8 bucks a can and most cars take 3 cans or less.The r12 that your system is now is about 50 or more a can if you can find it since they stopped making it years ago.