After 3 weeks the Jeep has finaly left the garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default After 3 weeks the Jeep has finaly left the garage

3 weeks ago I had my new rear (Trussed, LSD, Disc c8.25) all ready to be installed. Pulled my Charger out of the garage and pulled the Jeep in. 20 minutes later I discovered 2 leaf springs that had 2 layers cracked straight through them.

Project on hold!

Between my work schedule and the holidays I am broke right now so I couldn't afford springs and had to comparison shop to the max. Found a set of new RC springs for $190 shipped (SCORE!!!) They finally came and my help was unavailable for a week

Project still on hold!

Finally got my help. Luckily he's a professional field mechanic for Caterpillar and has every took and skill you can think of or else the project would have been on hold again to get new leaf bolts.

Got the rear installed and all I had to do was bleed the brakes

Oh what a fiasco...

I spent ALL of sunday bleeding the brakes and all I could get was a steady stream of air. I reflared all of my lines, checked everything. No luck. After about 10 hours of watching air come out of the line I noticed on time I had the hard line off the softline that there was a good flow of fluid there. I used an adapter and bled it straight out of the hardline and it was fine. I did the next logical thing to do and tightened the banjo bolt a little thereby snapping the banjo bolt.

Project on hold AGAIN!

No parts stores around here (Advance, Autozone, Pepboys, + small ones) carry the Banjo bolts. Only larger GM ones. Today luckily I could get one from my dealer.

New banjo bolt, new washers, ...still air. Just a stab in the dark I decided to wrap the bleeders with teflon tape. It worked!!! All along it was a bad bleeder.

So I got the brakes bled, wheels back on and Jeep out of the garage FINALLY!!!

Everything is relatively good. The one caliper is leaking a little bit (Junkyard ZJ conversion) so I will end up replacing both rears with new ones but it is slight enough I can drive it. Just a little wet spot on inside of wheel.

I also need to do the Hack/Tap SYE now. I planned to anyway but my D seemed to push to far into the TC going from the D35 to a c8.25 so I removed my TC drop and now have some acceleration vibes.

Eventually e-brake too.

Worst part is I developed a power steering leak where the return goes back into the reservoir while it was sitting but that is minor.

Now I have to install the new radiator I have sitting waiting to go in.

Oh the Joys!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Atleast you have a garage for your Jeep to leave. Mine is full of the wife's crap, I can't even park a motorcycle in my garage.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like every project I do. Even changing the oil usually turns out to be a 2 week ordeal for me lol