Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Affordable (and safe) self-recovery

Just wondering what you all consider the best option for, er... emergency extrication.

Come-along? hand winch? hi-lift? ratchet strap and a cheater bar?

Ideally something that doesn't take up a crapton of space, doesn't cost a fortune, but can get you out of a decent amount of hangups without killing you in the process.

I'm guessing a Hi-Lift is going to be the most logical choice. But is it more efficient than a hand winch?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I've only used a hi lift whjen I was with my buddy in his jeep when we got stuck checking on his cows up in the mountains. Let me tell you, it worked but I'll be damned if i would want to do it again or have that as my main mean of getting me out. It was tiring and took a bit....to me, it makes you have to be extra careful where you go because it's like this; if I have a winch I can get out of this obstacle if I get stuck in a few minutes. If I have the hi lift, I'm getting tired as **** and I'm getting out in a longer period of time.

hi lift jacks have attachments for these purposes and my buddy has one, but still haha
Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Almost anything can kill you in the process. You put tension on a line with any of the mentioned recovery methods. Personally, I think electric winches are the way to go. Hi-Lift is the #2 choice in my opinion because it can be used for so many different situations.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:41 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

None of the above, at least at first...what you absolutely must have, is bumpers front and rear with properly reinforced extraction points.

If you're gonna do a front bumper, get one that can accommodate a winch.

For most situations, a tow strap is all you would need, unless you wheel alone (not recommended), then a winch. After that, a properly rigged hi-lift will do it, but as said above, it sucks.

Here's a link to a great thread posted by OutlawStar...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/re...safety-233612/
Old 07-03-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee

I carry a hi lift, but for the purpose of either sliding the jeep over or lifting it. I have always, and will continue to carry a come along. Its saved my hide a few times! they are slow, but work well and are relatively safe. dont take up much space, and with some straps can get you out of more situations than a winch. I once rolled my mighty max back over with a come along in a creek bed in the middle of nowhere. Also, living on a farm it has many, many uses, from stretching wire to moving fallen trees, to pulling calves.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Come-along rated for the weight and a ****** block. make sure the cables are in good condition just like a winch. i carry that and a Hi-Lift with the proper attachments in addition to my winch.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I voted other in favor of traction mats. If I'm stuck bad, hand winching is truly a last ditch effort.

My other self recovery is a buddy with a 3/4 ton truck and some beefy tow straps
Old 07-03-2017, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
My other self recovery is a buddy with a 3/4 ton truck and some beefy tow straps
I'd be screwed. Where I usually go, heavy diesels typically can't get there haha.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

honestly save up and get a winch bumper and a winch,I have had to use a hi lift jack sideways once it took hours to pull myself 3 feet and my arms hurt for days.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 AM
Seasoned Member

I will say that traction mats are really neat, especially the newer ones that you can use like ramps or bridges.

No love for hand winches, i see. Not that i cant see why. Ive used one before to open a 33-ton lock gate, which wasnt very fun, but it worked.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by RegularGuy
I will say that traction mats are really neat, especially the newer ones that you can use like ramps or bridges.

No love for hand winches, i see. Not that i cant see why. Ive used one before to open a 33-ton lock gate, which wasnt very fun, but it worked.
Im not a big fan of the plastic mats. I had one to break and bust a tire on my mighty max. As for hand winches, they are slow, ya gotta be stout, but the do work. Come alongs give you more leverage, but have a fairly short pull and, for winching, are safer than a hi lift. obviously a winch is ideal, but many of us just dont have a winch.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 go to is strap cuz i don't wheel alone (much) #2 would be come -along since i do not have a winch #3 would be hi-lift
Old 07-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Just some of my personal thoughts on this subject.

Ipersonally would get a winch if I could afford it, but the winch combined with a bumper for it would quickly exceed the price I paid for my XJ. Maybe someday if one fell into my lap.

Even if I had a winch, I'd want something as a backup. I've grown leery of trusting things to work the way they are supposed to so having a sure-fire "in case" is how I personally like things.

A jack better than the factory screw-bottle jack would be very good to have, but it would appear that the Hi-Lift is better thought of as a multipurpose tool- since it doesn't seem all that well liked as an actual jack, but serves several other purposes like winch, pinch and spread (don't take that the wrong way)

I have no experience with come-alongs. My experience with hand winches is what I mention, whenere it was fastened to a post in concrete and attached to a 176 year old timber door.

As for wheeling alone, it's not something I think is a good idea, but needs can arise on the average day. Let's say you get stuck in a snow bank and can't wait on someone else to happen along to pull you out... Ect.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A winch if taken care of and tested before you go out will never let you down in a pinch.A cheap but good winch bumper under 500 http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/extr...erokee-xj.html a winch under 400 https://superwinch.com/collections/s...nd-suv-winches or a hair over 500 for rope on it.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I have used the hi-lift for winching. ONCE. That sucked. I plan to pick up a come along when one comes across my path cheap. A winch if I fall into some money.