Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Adding an inch or 2 on to lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Adding an inch or 2 on to lift kit?

Hi everyone.
Brand new to the forum and just have a quick question. I have a 2" BDS lift kit and I wanted to go up an inch or 2. Would I be able to just get an add-a-leaf and some coil spacers to boost it up to a 3" or 4" or is it more complicated than that? If that is possible are there any concerns or cons associated with doing so? Would I need longer shocks?
Thank you!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Adam Scalise
Hi everyone.
Brand new to the forum and just have a quick question. I have a 2" BDS lift kit and I wanted to go up an inch or 2. Would I be able to just get an add-a-leaf and some coil spacers to boost it up to a 3" or 4" or is it more complicated than that? If that is possible are there any concerns or cons associated with doing so? Would I need longer shocks?
Thank you!
I mean I guess you could. But you would need other stuff as well since your affecting the suspension even more. Trackball, sye, etc could be in play. If you wanted more lift I would just buy new leafs and coils at the height you want.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

what does your 2 inch bds kit consist of? most 2 inch kits are only coil spacers and leaf blocks or shackles.

i would advise against double stacking 2 inch coil spacers. you can get away with adding a 1 inch coil spacer to your existing 2 inch coil spacer, or even doubling up your stock coil isolators to get you a bit taller but as mentioned, i would go for a 3 to 3.5 inch coil and leaf kit, then you can always add your coil spacers to that later on if you still want a little more lift.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you're looking to run bigger tires, you can tastefully cut and roll your fenders to get more clearance. If you're simply looking for more height, look into getting a more comprehensive 3" or 4" kit, but the higher you go, the more components you'll need (control arms, track bar, etc, etc.)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:11 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Adam Scalise
Hi everyone.
Thank you!
If you want to add bigger tires you can put on some fender flares and with the 2 inch lift you have you might be able to go with 33 's . Then you will need to regear also . I'm running a 3 inch lift with Bushwacker flats and have a ton of room for bigger tires .
Attached Thumbnails Adding an inch or 2 on to lift kit?-img_0985-1-.jpg   Adding an inch or 2 on to lift kit?-img_0986-1-.jpg