Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

'98 w NP231J - 2wd issue

Old 07-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '98 w NP231J - 2wd issue

I need some help before I loose my mind completely. I have had the transfer case out 3 times and spilt 4 times.

I purchased and installed a master rebuild kit, and a SYE. Everything went together fine, got back in the rig and drove had no problems (or so i thought) See i had the front driveshaft removed so i could rebuild and didn't know the case was in 4HI the entire time. After installing the driveshaft this weekend it was pretty obvious. I tried everything to get it back into 2WD with no luck. Longer story shorter I pulled the case and spilt it. Checked the shift fork sleeve to make sure it was in the right way, it was. I made sure the spring was in place, it was. I operated the case manually while apart and everything seemed to work correctly, with the exception if neutral, i could not ever get neutral to work. BUT i decided that since i could get 4wd and 2 hi to work id take it. Put back together and on the bench tried to operate only to find that it still was not going back into 2wd. Pulled the plug at the end of the new tail shaft and could see the rod was still extended. Had to use a punch and hammer to tap back in but as soon as I did that it was in 2wd. I filled with fluid and drove it around and even after a few miles and being lubed at this point it does not want to go back into 2wd.

I am at a complete loss. I have taken this thing apart to many times and don't know what else to look for and would rather not just start throwing parts at it. PLEASE HELP!!!