Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

'98

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '98

Has anyone ever replaced the entire radio antenna and cabels on a '98 Grand Cherokee? Any tips on how to do this? I have a used antenna with coax to replace what I suspect is a bad antenna and or coex but have been reluctant do tear into it yet.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'd test continuity and resistance before I went through the trouble of replacing an antenna. Have you done any of that?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a PITA to run the new cable in there. So, remove old antenna, cut off the cable, stick your new antenna cable into the end of the old cable and tape the living hell out of it several inches both directions. Don't buy one with a 90º end though or this won't work. Don't get it too fat though. Then you just go under the dash and snake it through.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM

You have to take the inner fender well out or at least loose. The cable itself is in a wrapped harness inside and in the upper section of the dash. There is a cable boot on the inner fender well and once you pop it out you will have access to the inside. I fished a wire thru to the outside and taped it to the antenna wire. Pulled it back thru then fished a wire from the area behind the radio to anywhere you can get it under the glove box. Pull it and the taped antenna wire thru and you have it done. I clipped the old antenna wire so it does not confuse me later if I am in there doing something else. Be sure to remember to pop the cable plug back in the inner fender area. Good luck, i have very large hands and I was able to get in there and get it done.