Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

97 XJ with 32" Tires. No Lift, Please Help!

Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 XJ with 32" Tires. No Lift, Please Help!

Hey all,

I just bought a 97 XJ from a girl who just bought 32" tires on it about a month before she sold it. I am planning on lifting it 3". It rubs only when I cut hard to the right or left. I was going to lift it 3" and put 2" wheel spacers on it. If I remove the plastic splash shield on both sides, will I rub?

I do NOT plan on going off-road with this vehicle. This is going to be my daily commuter, so I don't think it should rub that much... but I would love some advice before I buy the lift kit, wheel spacers and transfer case drop kit.

Please help out a Jeep Newbie.

Thanks,
DC
Old 05-01-2017, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Wheel spacers kind of suck. They get the job done, but I stay firm on that opinion. I think getting wheels with backspacing built into them is a better option.

I also don't think you will want to remove the plastic fender flares (that is what you're referring to right?). Believe it or not, they give the XJ what little aerodynamics they actually have and they help keep your doors and body clean from road splash and dead animal guts.

If you put your Jeep body 3 inches in the air, you may not rub anymore. Also, you might be able to just trim a small portion of the plastic such that you don't have to fully remove it. Try the lift first and report back.

P.S., you may want to get adjustable control arms to help push your front tires forward after lifting that high. It gives you a better control and feel for the vehicle when driving and improves your alignment situation. Just food for thought.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I didn't mean the fender flares, I plan to upgrade those actually. What I meant was the plastic splash guard within the actual wheel well. It turns out I have 31" tires, not 32". So what type of kit should I get that would have adjustable control arms and provide me with a 3" lift?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

what is the actual size of the tire? Stock rims or aftermarket? with 3" and 31's you will have to do some minor trimming to the rear of the fender and the front. NO nee to remove the splash guard in the wheel well. a 3.5" lift is a very good setup for 31's and you will not have to trim. shop around for a 3.5 setup. you will be happier. there are very few true 3" lifts left on the market.