Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

356,000 miles ! what did I do to keep it running ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile 356,000 miles ! what did I do to keep it running ?

Well to be honest I have not been the best to this 2001 XJ Cherokee. But it can sure take a beating. I am sure I'll get alot of remarks but what can I say, the miles and the fact it's still running speak for itself.
I chase lightning and photograph storms here in the Senoran Desert (Phoenix are). I have owned this jeep since it was about 20k miles on it. I have kept everything stock as I do not rock crawl, but I do drive it all over the desert trying to get in location to take the best pictures. And usually the best place to get pictures is the spot I probably shouldn't attempt to go to. But ....Sometimes you just got to do it. And my jeep has surprised me on more than one occasion.

Ok so here's what I've done. I have changed the oil regularly. And I have had everything in from Royal Purple to 10w-40 and Lucas oil. Doesn't seem to matter much, always works great. Keep in mind I live in Phoenix. I see a lot of people arguing over oil. Just put something in it dammit ! lol
coolant- For awhile I just used straight water. But now I use 50/50 autozone stuff and as I need more I always use the soft water from my sink. That's right. If the soft water is good for my faucets and house stuff, should be good for my jeep. I never have any build up and in the Phoenix Summer in August It runs a hair under 210 F. (with a stock radiator)

Parts I have changed:
Radiator. Stock one went out, bought a steel one. that lasted 15 years and now I just bought an Autozone cheapie and it works great.
AC compressor- on number 3. Lesson learned- never buy cheap compressor. also replaced ALL AC components at least once.
Brakes- I have never ever replaced the rear brakes. to be honest I am not even sure they're still there. but it brakes fine and it's on my list of things to do.
transmission- I have never once replaced the trans fluid. I know I know, I am a terrible person but I just never have. I have added a little but at this point I ain't touching it. I am using that old oil right up to the end.
went crazy trying to fix a misfire in CYL #3. replaced fuel injectors , spark plugs etc but ended up replacing the head. Burnt #3 exhaust valve.
Suspension- replaced leaf springs and nearly every part in the suspension. Had death wobble for a bit but figured it out. Put heavier duty springs in here and really not a good idea. roughs ok but now it's really rough. Just stick with stock springs.
other than little nuances it still runs great. I am starting to look for new motors and transmissions now cause I am sure I may not get too much longer.
Emissions- once you trace the line and figure it out you find emissions is really not too hard. but basically I have replaced every rubber hose in this jeep and made a home made smoke machine which helped out a lot.

So as of right now it runs great.

Marc
The following 2 users liked this post by Marc in az:
318SixPack (09-04-2019), jordan96xj (09-02-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

356k... sweet... throw up some pics of the ole girl
Old 09-01-2019, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Need to give that guardian angel on your shoulder a high five.