Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is the 2005-2010 jeep grand cherokee a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is the 2005-2010 jeep grand cherokee a good first car?

Hi i am 16 looking for a good first car and i was looking at the jeep grand cherokee 2005-2010. I wanna know if its safe and reliable for me, or if theres anything i need to know. And also do they have the gas tank in the back like the 1996-2004 grand cherokee, i don't wanna explode
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Nope, the gas tanks are metal in the newer Jeeps, only the 1993-04 models have issues. You should be fine with a WK (2005-2010) GC. Just get the 3.7 V6 or 5.7 HEMI V8, but avoid the 4.7 V8 if you're looking for better MPG and more reliability, especially if you're planning on racking up the mileage. For extra safety, look with one that has a VIN number that starts with '1J8' instead of '1J4', so you know for sure it has side window-mounted airbags in addition to the front airbags, and look for one with a traction and stability control (Limiteds and Overlands include this, but it's optional on Laredos) if you're looking for the best safety features available in a GC of this generation. You'll also be glad to know that they're plentiful, and you should be able to find one easily in your area. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

The gas tank problem isn't as bad as the news made it out to be,Cars from the 70s the gas tank was touching the rear bumper and they never recalled them over it.Honestly any car can be reliable if its been taking care of and not driven like its been stolen.Since we are talking used cars mostly i would only look at ones that can show full maintenance records on them.Reason i say this is it will show everything thats been done at what mileage so you know its been taking care of.And i look at the car and the owner.If its someone older they probably drive normal and took care of it.If its someone 20s or teens or screams i teenager owned it i would probably walk away.Reason i say that is most younger drivers like to drive fast and are hard on cars and probably has a lack of maintenance which will cost you when things start to break on it.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

Originally Posted by 94zj318
Nope, the gas tanks are metal in the newer Jeeps
WK's have a plastic tank (unless you get a 3.0L CRD... the tank is metal and prone to corrosion on diesel models) but it is located mid-ship along the drivetrain and includes a metal skid plate. The spare tires is located in the back.

A WK is a great first vehicle in its stock from. It is safe and relatively easy to maintain with only a few common problems. Two problems that come to mind off the top of my head are oil leaks on CRD models and transfer case shift issues on QTII/QDII models (the latter has a few recalls that should fix the problem and/or you may convince FCA Customer Service to take care of the problem free of charge like I did if the recalls fail to work). Avoid the 3.0L CRD as they are difficult and expensive to maintain and prone to problems out of warranty. Go for the Hemi, you'll thank yourself in the long run!

If you plan on building a Jeep for offroad use... I do not recommend getting a WK as your first vehicle. They are expensive to modify beyond a small lift and slightly bigger tires. If a stock WK or maybe a 2.5" OME lifted WK are enough for you... then go for it!

My previously owned WK's:
2008 3.0L CRD Overland:

Name:  DSC_1771.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  194.5 KB

2010 5.7L S-Limited (stock):

Name:  DSC_1827.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  146.0 KB

2010 5.7L S-Limited (6" of lift on 37" tires):

Name:  009_1.jpg
Views: 5234