Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 Jeep Cherokee Refuses to run

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 1991 Jeep Cherokee Refuses to run

ive Had my 91 Cherokee about a year now and it’s been great until about six months ago when it wouldn’t start. It turned over but just wouldn’t catch. Since then I’ve had problems with it dying at random either at idle or while driving, no warning no sputtering just instantly dead. Giving gas doesn’t help. Also refusing to start altogether as it did before and as of now I haven’t gotten it to start in weeks. In tracking this issue (and a few other things along the way) I have since replaced the head&gasket, distributor, fuel pump and filter, o2 sensor, all new spark plugs, new radiator (twice), battery is okay, fuses are good, all the wiring I can tell is good. Have spark fuel air and pressure. Timing is on and when it runs it sounds great! I’m running out of ideas and maybe forgot a few things here.
The only code the computer throws that It shouldn’t be is 41 alternator field control circuit open or shorted. does this mean a bad alternator or where should I be looking?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to CF. The code 41 is specific to the alternator itself; it's toast. Replace it before you get it running by chance and it leaves you stranded somewhere inconvenient.

This https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ is normally the place to post a question regarding stock XJ's and may explain your lack of responses.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by cveroom
ive Had my 91 Cherokee about a year now and it’s been great until about six months ago when it wouldn’t start. It turned over but just wouldn’t catch. Since then I’ve had problems with it dying at random either at idle or while driving, no warning no sputtering just instantly dead. Giving gas doesn’t help. Also refusing to start altogether as it did before and as of now I haven’t gotten it to start in weeks. In tracking this issue (and a few other things along the way) I have since replaced the head&gasket, distributor, fuel pump and filter, o2 sensor, all new spark plugs, new radiator (twice), battery is okay, fuses are good, all the wiring I can tell is good. Have spark fuel air and pressure. Timing is on and when it runs it sounds great! I’m running out of ideas and maybe forgot a few things here.
The only code the computer throws that It shouldn’t be is 41 alternator field control circuit open or shorted. does this mean a bad alternator or where should I be looking?
"Field control circuit", you say? That would be the voltage regulator circuit. The voltage regulator regulates the voltage and thereby the charging, by varying the voltage supplied to the field of the alternator, which then makes the magnetic field stronger or weaker, which then causes the alternator to put our either more or less charging voltage and thereby current.,

I think this field control circuit, or regulator, is contained in the PCM, not the alternator on that year model. If so they are non repairable and you change the pcm.
A toasted PCM might also cause your failure.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
A toasted PCM might also cause your failure.
This is true but it's very uncommon relative to alt failures. Cleaning corroded ECU/ECM/PCM pins can sometimes salvage them.

OP, double-check the alt wiring and connectors very closely, particularly the green wire. Also, have you load-tested the alt?

Hopefully a mod will move this thread.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
This is true but it's very uncommon relative to alt failures. Cleaning corroded ECU/ECM/PCM pins can sometimes salvage them.

OP, double-check the alt wiring and connectors very closely, particularly the green wire. Also, have you load-tested the alt?

Hopefully a mod will move this thread.
He doesn't have an alt failure, he has a regulator problem, at least the code says so. Regulator in the pcm and isn't serviceable you have to replace the pcm. Of course, he should check the connections, that goes without saying. !
Old 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

He doesn't have an alt failure, he has a regulator problem, at least the code says so. Regulator in the pcm and isn't serviceable you have to replace the pcm. Of course, he should check the connections, that goes without saying. !
Non-sequitur. Just because the code is related to voltage reg does not mean it is not the alt. Worn/damaged brushes, broken connection on alt can, and often do, trip code 41.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
Non-sequitur. Just because the code is related to voltage reg does not mean it is not the alt. Worn/damaged brushes, broken connection on alt can, and often do, trip code 41.
He says it wont start. Unless I'm wrong, you can take the alt right out and still start it. So that is why I say pcm. We can agree to disagree.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

We can agree to disagree.
Yes, of course.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, OP, now that I have a few minutes to clarify something for you (and 97 grand), your voltage regulator is not in the ECU/ECM. The voltage regulator on your '91 is...wait for it...on your alternator. They did not begin using the PCM-internal unit until the '92 MY when they switched from Delco to Nippondenso units. Case closed. Check your alt and wires/connections.