Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 Diamond in the rough? Or let it go to the scrap yard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1988 Diamond in the rough? Or let it go to the scrap yard?

I have found a 1988 Cherokee, I'm assuming it's an XJ. The owner of it parked it in 1997 and has not started it or drove it since. So the truck has not ran or driven in 17 years. The truck has been parked on asphalt and seems in good shape. ( looking at pictures ) I'm looking for a new project / 4x4 vehicle. I only trailer my rig around and it will never see pavement. So im not trying to put this jeep on the road or anything.

The last thing i want is someones garbage. Im going to look at it on sunday. And just wondering your guys opinion. What i should check. Should i just stay away.

I know the gas will be garbage and i will need to drain the tank. But what else. Im thinking i should try and turn the engine over. Maybe with a big socket and Johnson bar on the main pulley. Im thinking i need to check the uni-body frame.

Any thoughts or ideas would greatly appreciated
Old 01-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline Six

Check the unibodie and where the leaf Springs meet the body. And any other high stress places. And just take the ignition could wire off and turn the key that way it won't start. One thing I would be concerned about is gaskets drying out. I'm no mechanic but it seems like that could be a problem.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Low money and high dreams
Check the unibodie and where the leaf Springs meet the body. And any other high stress places. And just take the ignition could wire off and turn the key that way it won't start. One thing I would be concerned about is gaskets drying out. I'm no mechanic but it seems like that could be a problem.
Ok thanks .... im assuming you meant ignition cold wire and your phone auto corrected you? What did you mean by that? Take off ignition wire and jump start it, to see if the engine turns over?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

88 is the AMC-Renault-Bendix era (RENIX) which is pre-Chrysler. Its a workable MPFI system but its kind of opaque and always adds more effort to everything. Thinner parts availability, have to do some mods to retrofit common stuff, have to convert the cooling system, etc. 91-99 are Chrysler era is a little more transparent and generally more flexible.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ehall
88 is the AMC-Renault-Bendix era (RENIX) which is pre-Chrysler. Its a workable MPFI system but its kind of opaque and always adds more effort to everything. Thinner parts availability, have to do some mods to retrofit common stuff, have to convert the cooling system, etc. 91-99 are Chrysler era is a little more transparent and generally more flexible.
Sweet good info ... thanks
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline Six

Originally Posted by work.truck
Ok thanks .... im assuming you meant ignition cold wire and your phone auto corrected you? What did you mean by that? Take off ignition wire and jump start it, to see if the engine turns over?
The center wire ontop of the distributer. That is your main 'spark' wire. Just unplug one end. Then the Jeep won't start when you turn it over.
Turning it over is one of the major things though. It's a must, no telling what has happened in the past 17 years. Also it's a good idea as soon as you get it Do a radiator flush learn from my mistakes! Your best off changing all your fluids actually

Last edited by Low money and high dreams; 01-16-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

My '88 is my first and only vehicle and it is very easy to work on. Lots of sensors/vacuum lines but little computer involvement. I wouldn't be concerned about the year and difficulty to work on. Gaskets and such as already mentioned is the big thing.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
My '88 is my first and only vehicle and it is very easy to work on. Lots of sensors/vacuum lines but little computer involvement. I wouldn't be concerned about the year and difficulty to work on. Gaskets and such as already mentioned is the big thing.
Sweet in my opinion older is normally easier.

But im worried the engine is junk. Wont it be all rusted inside after sitting 17 years? Wont the rust distroy the engine?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Could. Best bet would be to take the engine out and rebuild it. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to start with an oil, gas, and battery change. Don't forget to go over the wiring, rats cause fires too.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Originally Posted by work.truck
Sweet in my opinion older is normally easier.
Not in this case. Its all the complexity of HO years, plus some additional (cooling system, EGR, etc), plus a layer of obscurity from the opaque ECU.

But im worried the engine is junk. Wont it be all rusted inside after sitting 17 years? Wont the rust distroy the engine?
It depends on a lot of factors. Generally speaking if it was out in the weather it is probably very rusty, rotten hoses, brittle connectors, all that stuff. I would have to think hard before taking it free. My 91 was free and I have spent thousands of dollars on it, and it was running when I got it (mostly) [only thing more expensive than a free Jeep that needs some work is a free boat that needs some work]. I wouldn't pay for it. Different story for one in a garage. My neighbor's old Tbird cranked up after sitting for years, but it was kept in a garage the whole time.