XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 Cherokee with only 76K miles ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1988 Cherokee with only 76K miles (We bought it!)

What would be a fair price?

4wd, 4 door, 4.0 I6, body and interior look real nice from the pictures.

Appears stock / no lift. It's a six digit odometer so there is a zero in front.

This would be for our primary vehicle living in a rural area - not a toy or a project.

Last edited by 1976gmc20; 04-12-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update title
Old 04-07-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

As for fair price it will depend a lot on the area. I could see 1500-5k+.

Stating that its not going to be a project concerns me. 27 years old and only 76k means it has sat a lot. If it were me I would automatically be planning on all hoses, fluids, belt and probably a lot of ignition parts right off the bat for peace of mind. I would also be thoroughly checking the brake and fuel systems and replacing anything questionable. None of this would stop my purchase but I would have it figured into the budget.

It always seems there are people having problems with lower mileage XJs than higher ones. Nothing scientific here just how it appears.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
As for fair price it will depend a lot on the area. I could see 1500-5k+.

Stating that its not going to be a project concerns me. 27 years old and only 76k means it has sat a lot. If it were me I would automatically be planning on all hoses, fluids, belt and probably a lot of ignition parts right off the bat for peace of mind. I would also be thoroughly checking the brake and fuel systems and replacing anything questionable. None of this would stop my purchase but I would have it figured into the budget.

It always seems there are people having problems with lower mileage XJs than higher ones. Nothing scientific here just how it appears.

Yeah, I'm already figuring on doing a bunch of maintenance if we get it. By "not a project" I mean that I'm not going to lift it or customize it for off road use, but it will be a vehicle to handle our terrible roads out here in the Montana outback.

It's a trade-in at an RV lot. They're asking $3500 which seems way high for the year but it's got less miles than our stupid little 2006 car. I'm thinking it could need another $1500 just to go through and make sure it's road worthy, but that's still cheap compared $20-$30K for some new thing that's a piece of crap.

I just wanted to get a better idea about price before we go look at it.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

It all depends on condition. If its rust free then $3,500 might not be bad, but if it sat a lot then chances are it has some rust,

Again, it will be a project, whether you want it to be or not.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

I paid $1500 for my 88 with 80k miles last year. I added about another $1000 in upgrades/maintenance stuff.
Wheels/tires $500
Trans mount - $30
Shocks all around - $100
Floor mats - ~$200
Trailer hitch - $100
Oil change, etc. - $50

I ended up around $2500 into it.

Of course now I have caught the bug a bit and added bigger tires, different wheels and a 3" lift.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Okay, thanks

If they still have it when we go to town, and if it's not mostly perfect in appearance and running, I will offer them a lot less.

Assuming they don't have all the service history, probably no more than $2500 even if it seems really good ...
Old 04-08-2015, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20
Okay, thanks If they still have it when we go to town, and if it's not mostly perfect in appearance and running, I will offer them a lot less. Assuming they don't have all the service history, probably no more than $2500 even if it seems really good ...
That sounds very reasonable
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM

So there's no big disadvantage to that year and the Renix FI ???

Planning to go to town a look at it in the morning...
Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20
So there's no big disadvantage to that year and the Renix FI ???

Planning to go to town a look at it in the morning...
I would say it has advantages over the newer systems, but disadvantages in some ways. It is simpler, no OBD and fewer sensors, but some may see that as a disadvantage.

My '88 was a pile of Jeep when I got it, but I have grown to love it. Not sure why...
Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 PM

We looked at it this morning. It is really pretty nice - just a couple tiny dings and the doors are tight and smooth. It looks like that it was undercoated when new, which is now cracking and peeling and showing virgin metal underneath, so the body is pretty much as solid as brand new.

The 4.0 does have some valve clatter which I understand is normal, but it gets louder and quieter when idling at the same rpm which I thought was odd

Engine and transmission oil look good. Actually, everything under the hood looks like showroom condition.

I tried out the 4wd in a gravel parking lot and it seems okay. It has the part-time/full-time TC: 2wd - PT 4wd - FT 4wd - N - 4Lo.

It drives nice and no wobble up to 65mph on the interstate.

Only things wrong seem to be:
1. Drivers electric window doesn't work. They said they were going to fix that.
2. Drivers seat belt doesn't latch. He said he could get one from the junkyard and install it.
3. No radiator cap per se but there is an opaque plastic tank on the passenger fire wall plumbed into the heater hoses. It had been driven before we got there so I couldn't get the cap off to check coolant level/condition.
4. There's some rust on the back seat drivers side door. It's going to need to be cleaned up and at least primered to keep it from getting worse.

They won't budge off the $3500 advertised on CL. They couldn't find the title when we were there so we gave them our phone number and headed for shopping/home. By the time we got home, they had left a message saying they found the paperwork (it's from ND). I'm tempted to just buy it at that, assuming they fix items 1 and 2 above, the VIN is correct per title, and I get a look at the coolant (I want to drive it again and make double sure that it's not overheating as it was only about 45deg today)

He offered me $1000 difference (money back) for my 2006 HHR - I'm not sure whether I want to pay cash for the Jeep, or just get rid of our car losing about $2000 for not having to try to sell it from 60 miles out of town We already have four vehicles for two drivers.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM

It is 27 years old and wear/tear is to be expected even with such low mileage. $3500 may be OK if it is truly rust-free underneath. They say it is from ND, and it gets really flippin cold there and they probably put salt on the roads. Something to consider.

The cooling system is of the 'closed' type, having no radiator cap. It is the np242 xfer case, which is better in some ways..primarily the full-time 4wd option and it is a bit beefier than the more common np231.

I would say that $3500 is at the higher end of its value, compared to the price of XJs in Phoenix (XJs are fairly common here), but they may be more valuable where you are at.

It sounds like it is at a dealership, and while they do have overhead to account for, they would rather sell a car period rather than let it sit longer on the lot. They already called you back so they want to sell it. Low ball 'em again and see if they move.

Good luck and show off your new toy if you get it!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
It is 27 years old and wear/tear is to be expected even with such low mileage. $3500 may be OK if it is truly rust-free underneath. They say it is from ND, and it gets really flippin cold there and they probably put salt on the roads. Something to consider.

The cooling system is of the 'closed' type, having no radiator cap. It is the np242 xfer case, which is better in some ways..primarily the full-time 4wd option and it is a bit beefier than the more common np231.

I would say that $3500 is at the higher end of its value, compared to the price of XJs in Phoenix (XJs are fairly common here), but they may be more valuable where you are at.

It sounds like it is at a dealership, and while they do have overhead to account for, they would rather sell a car period rather than let it sit longer on the lot. They already called you back so they want to sell it. Low ball 'em again and see if they move.

Good luck and show off your new toy if you get it!

But I still should be able to open the cap on the plastic tank when cold and check the level and condition of the coolant, right? I don't know if it was under pressure or what, but I could not turn it with my bare hands.

I'm not going to push them on the price any further but I am insisting they fix the drivers electric window and the seat belt latch.

We will probably pick it up on Monday.

PS - I forgot to mention above that the jeep has nearly new Michelin tires on it. They are just "P" highway tread tires but in a way that is good because it says to me that it was probably never driven off road much if at all. I will probably run them a year or two and then get some LT235/75R15 all season tires.

I just haven't been seeing many nice XJs for sale in our local area, and the cost of going to look at something several hundred miles away sort of negates any price saving. If this one works out for us, I might get another XJ after we sell our car.

Last edited by 1976gmc20; 04-10-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: more information
Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Even if your new Jeep is running great, you are still going to want to get familiar with it. Bleepinjeep has some fun and very useful videos about XJs. He has a few about the open/closed cooling systems, which you may find very useful.

You will also want to read through Cruiser54's immensely helpful tips for the Renix XJs which you will have on Monday. Working through those tips, or atleast studying them, will be like a perfect walkthough of your Renix and will make you very familiar with it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/
Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Thanks!

Hopefully I can keep this old jeep running until I am no longer able to drive
Old 04-10-2015, 11:43 AM

So is the closed cooling system bad ???

Quick Reply: 1988 Cherokee with only 76K miles ???