Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head
Default 12 ton pipe bender

I didn't really know where to ask this but here goes. I just bought a used pipe bender for 60$ barely used.Is this capable of bending the material thickness needed for bumpers sliders or even cages ? Ive never bent any pipe before (besides conduit) but would like to play around and learn.Was it a good purchase or should it go to the scrap pile.lol. Its a well bilt 12 ton pipe bender with 6 dies.Thanks __________________
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
I didn't really know where to ask this but here goes. I just bought a used pipe bender for 60$ barely used.Is this capable of bending the material thickness needed for bumpers sliders or even cages ? Ive never bent any pipe before (besides conduit) but would like to play around and learn.Was it a good purchase or should it go to the scrap pile.lol. Its a well bilt 12 ton pipe bender with 6 dies.Thanks __________________
First thing you need to realize, tube is different than pipe. Pipe is measured by I.D., tubing by O.D. ...you need to use tubing for anything structural, pipe just won't cut it. That said, people have used that type of bender to do fab work, but IMHO, it is more work than it is worth. That style of bender can kink or crease the tube. People get around it by capping the ends of the tube and filling it with sand, not only does this sound like a major PITA, but anything more than a bend or two will take you a very long time. Take it from someone who tried to go the route of cheap benders...save your money, and get a proper bender. Since you only paid $60 for it, you're not out a lot, and you may be able to use it for other stuff like electrical or plumbing work, or you can re-sell it and get your $$$ back...but I don't recommend using it for cage work. Google HF benders and read what people have to say on it, and decide for yourself if you want to try to use it for fab work...

EDIT: One other thing...you won't be able to do more than a 90* bend with it either.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 09-29-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by roninofako
First thing you need to realize, tube is different than pipe. Pipe is measured by I.D., tubing by O.D. ...you need to use tubing for anything structural, pipe just won't cut it. That said, people have used that type of bender to do fab work, but IMHO, it is more work than it is worth. That style of bender can kink or crease the tube. People get around it by capping the ends of the tube and filling it with sand, not only does this sound like a major PITA, but anything more than a bend or two will take you a very long time. Take it from someone who tried to go the route of cheap benders...save your money, and get a proper bender. Since you only paid $60 for it, you're not out a lot, and you may be able to use it for other stuff like electrical or plumbing work, or you can re-sell it and get your $$$ back...but I don't recommend using it for cage work. Google HF benders and read what people have to say on it, and decide for yourself if you want to try to use it for fab work...

EDIT: One other thing...you won't be able to do more than a 90* bend with it either.
Thanks that's exactly what I've been reading on pirate.it seems some have had better result modding (strapping the center of the tube down)the dies and using a certain size (1 5/8 ) tubing for the 1 1/4 die shoe supposed to work well.
Since I'm broke as a joke I might try it a couple times cause I can't afford a tube bender.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
Thanks that's exactly what I've been reading on pirate.it seems some have had better result modding (strapping the center of the tube down)the dies and using a certain size (1 5/8 ) tubing for the 1 1/4 die shoe supposed to work well.
Since I'm broke as a joke I might try it a couple times cause I can't afford a tube bender.
I was in the same boat, which is why I tried a "cheap" bender or two...had I not done that, I could've just had a good bender that much sooner. You aren't out that much cash on it, which is good, so have at it. Just seems to be a lot of hassle for minimal results to me. You've been looking on the other forums, that's good, like I said, lots of people use it with okay results, and there are a ton of mods you can do to make it work better, so if you're willing to put the time into it, go for it. I just made the decision that why keep spending $$$ on cheap alternatives, only to have to put not only more money, but my time into, to even get it just to work properly. Keep us posted with your results!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

That's why their called tubing kinkers.