Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Woody's new bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Woody's new bumper!

Got started on this last weekend, and thought I would show it off. It's not finished yet so I don't have any final pix. This is just the core, and will change a bit. I will be running woody in a pasture race this coming Saturday so I didn't want to take a finished bumper just in case it gets trashed. Of course 6"x2" 3/16" tube is hard to destroy

This is one out of my "VIOLATOR" series.
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

that looks mean
Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Looks good

Also looks like arrows telling people which way to go to get out of your way

Great job, can you post pics of how you mounted it?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee

Very nice design...

If you did happen to bump a tree while wheeling, those edges with catch it and keep the tree from getting your Jeep...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

Looks great, are you planning on a winch mount or a stinger later on?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Cool

Im planning on a winch mount, and plating the under side of it so it is angular and will slide over things. The ends will be finished off as well, just not sure how yet. When I trim/move the fenders that will show me where and how Im gonna tuck them in. As for the stinger, NO! Every time someone builds a bumper with a stinger god kills 5 baby koalas!

I mounted it differently then most cherokee bumpers I have seen. I took a little GRAND chreokee trick, and cut open the front of the "frame" rail. I slid a piece of rec tube in as far as it would go, and drilled/tapped holes for the bolts. I will be tying in into the front, and plating the sides as well, it should end up with 12 bolts, maybe a few more. Im planning a rear bumper that will be similar, but no where near ready to do that one yet. I have WAY to much sheet metal work to do before I can even think about that one.

I will post more pix when I pull it off and start plating, and will do a few "stet by step" pix so you can get an idea how it was done.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by ROCK
Im planning on a winch mount, and plating the under side of it so it is angular and will slide over things. The ends will be finished off as well, just not sure how yet. When I trim/move the fenders that will show me where and how Im gonna tuck them in. As for the stinger, NO! Every time someone builds a bumper with a stinger god kills 5 baby koalas!

I mounted it differently then most cherokee bumpers I have seen. I took a little GRAND chreokee trick, and cut open the front of the "frame" rail. I slid a piece of rec tube in as far as it would go, and drilled/tapped holes for the bolts. I will be tying in into the front, and plating the sides as well, it should end up with 12 bolts, maybe a few more. Im planning a rear bumper that will be similar, but no where near ready to do that one yet. I have WAY to much sheet metal work to do before I can even think about that one.

I will post more pix when I pull it off and start plating, and will do a few "stet by step" pix so you can get an idea how it was done.
guess i have made god kill about 60 koalas.........this sucks to know because i plan on building more!!!!

Last edited by xjbones; 10-04-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM

I guess I am going to be killing 5 baby koalas too............

Thats not as bad as kittens though.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Ritter4.0
I guess I am going to be killing 5 baby koalas too............

Thats not as bad as kittens though.
nope....thats just what i was thinking. all is well then!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Cool

I just don't like stingers, I have never seen one actually stop a Jeep from going over. They just fold up and cause damage. To each his own though, if you like it, go for it.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Thats because they dont tie them into anything but the bumper. To work like they are designed to, they need to be either tied into a cage, or at least the rock sliders via tube fenders. Or the material they were made out of was too thin.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0
Default Thank God for stingers...

Neat bumper dude its kinda like a funky bat wing thing... I think stingers are ugly but they do a great job of deflecting debris that may otherwise get hung up on your bat wings as well as if you do tip forward and your stinger is made of a decent material ( I normally use 1.75x .125 or thicker tubing) and brace it back to a fender or back through the grill to a structural mount I swear by them. Not may folks have wheelie stories but I have a few that ended up in nose wheelies saved by my stinger. R&D always involves some sort of wheelies and jumping. Here is a pic of how I did my last XJ

Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Is that worth 10 dead koalas?
I know its soooooo ugly, it makes me a little uneasy looking back on it but I swear by It some sort of hood height deflection really helps.......
Don't hate me because of my koala killing habits.
still though I really do like your bumper the simplicity and aesthetics of the cut away look of the front is killer.
Andy
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ironmanandy
Is that worth 10 dead koalas?
I know its soooooo ugly, it makes me a little uneasy looking back on it but I swear by It some sort of hood height deflection really helps.......
Don't hate me because of my koala killing habits.
still though I really do like your bumper the simplicity and aesthetics of the cut away look of the front is killer.
Andy

i personally think my stinger looks sick...worth dead koalas?....hell yes it is. my life comes b4 any koalas!!!! if we were talking about turtles or something i wouldnt want them dead

and also....you should see the lanes clear in front of me with me stinger.....no one wants to get rear eneded by a stinger!!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I am wanting to add some type of "stinger" to the winch bumper on my XJ.

But I want it to tie to the outside ends of the bumper and also on each side of the winch. What I am looking for is more of a heavy loop with good support in the middle. I want it to be able to deflect the dam whitetail deer we have an overabundance of here. I am thinking of something along the lines of ARB style but want to push critters down under the XJ instead of up.

Anybody got any ideas or pics of something like I'm talking about??

MO