Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Wiring LEDs into Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Wiring LEDs into Front Speakers

I want to wire red LEDs the shine in my front speakers, since my aftermarket speakers are red themselves. Now, I cant wire them into the speakers wires because they dont produce 12volts, but, could i somehow tap into my power window wires so the LEDs would only be on when the cars on?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

run them off a toggle switch like doing a set of lights
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: Inline 6

But then that requires wiring nicely from door to fuse panel area, alot more work, and if there is 12 volts at the window it will be easy
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

I wouldnt mess with window wiring. it would bee to easy to start losing power from window motor and open alot of doors to problem. I also say seperate toggle switch. it wouldnt be that hard
Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default I did this

I bought some dual speakers that had the leds prewired into them. I ran the power from the stereo to a toggle switch underneath the clock. Then from the toggle through the wiring in the door. Not too hard but you have to drill through the rubber bushing where the wiring for the windows and stuff goes and then pop the hose thing that protects the wires in between the body and the door and run the led wires through that. once they are in the door it is really easy. Alternatively the power could be sourced from the brick or the clock in the dash. I have not had any problems with power to the radio.

I would post pics but Dad took the jeep out to go kayaking.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

I must be getting old...(26years old) all this is sounding a litte goofy. I suppose I went through that phase though. I did all sorts of interior illumination with blue led's and blue string light with my Audi. I wouldn't hesitate to tap into the 12VDC for the power windows. It's already fused, already grounded, and the lights will turn on when you turn on the key. Most LEDs are such low amperage you won't risk hurting anything else. Unless jeep does something weird with it's switches and actuation. Just make sure you make all of your connections secure and either solder and shrink wrap them or zip tie and electrical tape it. Oh, and also make sure your battery is disconnected. Yeah, you'll have to reset your clock and presets but it beats arcing. Good luck and post pics of the results.