Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Tire carrier roof top or swing out on rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l
Default Tire carrier roof top or swing out on rear bumper?

Well what do you all think? Roof top mount or swing out on rear bumper?

Working on my swing out tire carrier and don't know if I like the tire on my bumper. Thinking about moving it to the roof. It does not bother me that it blocks the rear window, but to get the tire up it starts to stick passed the roof. Going to run 33 now but may go bigger later.

I have seen some pics of swing outs that the tire is mounted high.

Just wanting some other ideals.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

One thing to consider when putting your tire up top - your center of gravity becomes higher which is never good for going offroad. The more you can keep it from being top heavy the better.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 PM
e30
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a basket and mounted it on the roof....think of how much you use your hatch and how much you use your spare? i have never used my spare...but i use the hatch everyday...it get old moving the tire every time...especially if its raining

Name:  0309001616a.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

one thing to consider is (depending on where you live) how much sun will it see?? Here in AZ tires get dry rotteed and seperate from the tread like no body's business. I personaly would much rather only have one little section exposed to the top of the sun the majority and see it every day then go out and have one of those OH ----! moments and see a $200 spare tire dryrotted and become a really nice big paper weight if it sat out on top. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
one thing to consider is (depending on where you live) how much sun will it see?? Here in AZ tires get dry rotteed and seperate from the tread like no body's business. I personaly would much rather only have one little section exposed to the top of the sun the majority and see it every day then go out and have one of those OH ----! moments and see a $200 spare tire dryrotted and become a really nice big paper weight if it sat out on top. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing.

Just my 2 cents
get some armor all once a month or a 4 foot piece of tarp or tire cover.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:01 AM

I think I have to go with a rear swing out bumper...
It saves up some space for your roof rack especially if you need to carry some stuff on your roof...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

Originally Posted by Tankerblade

Just my 2 cents
if you rotate your spare in when you rotate the tires you avoid that problem and it keeps tire wear even, assuming your spare is the same as all your other tires. i rotate my tires every oil change and rotate my spare in, have had it on the roof for a year now and NO dry rot.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by tannerp89
if you rotate your spare in when you rotate the tires you avoid that problem and it keeps tire wear even, assuming your spare is the same as all your other tires. i rotate my tires every oil change and rotate my spare in, have had it on the roof for a year now and NO dry rot.
That would work. I rotate every oil change too but dont have a full size so i dont rotate that in.

I'm just saying it a possibility since its happened on a friends rig.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Try lifting a tire onto your roof...
Then take it back down and do it again...

Then come back to this discussion....

My wheel and tire combo is 85 lbs. for a 33 incher.

And its now on a swing out..
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by whowey

try putting tires on diesel trucks for 5 hours straight every day
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Engine: 4.0 l

Originally Posted by whowey

I understand about the weight. Normally not something you do everyday putting tire on the roof.

Sill have to pick it up for a swing out. How high is your tire on the swing out. I was going to put it as high as I can so I have room for a fuel can and water can holder.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Is your Jeep a DD? I mounted mine flat on the floor of my cargo area. It takes up a lot of space, but Its keeps the center of gravity lower than the factory mount does and it keeps it inside where I dont have to worry about sun damage, thieves, or trail obstacles. With my 30x9.5 tires it touches the back seat and is about an inch away from hitting the hatch. So when I go to 34s eventually the hatch will come off and it will stick out a little bit... prerunner style
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I understand about the weight. Normally not something you do everyday putting tire on the roof.

Sill have to pick it up for a swing out. How high is your tire on the swing out. I was going to put it as high as I can so I have room for a fuel can and water can holder.

Thanks
No.. you don't have to drag a spare off the roof everyday. But do it a couple of times and you will quickly lose enthusiasm to do it again.

I went wheeling with a buddy and he lost a bead in the bottom-less mud hole. We drug him out and changed his tire. We had to lift his now flat and mud filled tire onto the roof for him. It took two of us to lift this thing over our heads and get it into his roof basket. All the while muddy stink water raining down on us.

When my tire is on the swingout, the bottom of the tire is about waist level. I have a RE 3.5 inch lift, so it actually netted close to 5 inches in the rear.
Here is a picture of the tire mounted on the swing out when I first built it.

The swingout now has some side bracing that it didn't have when I built it. It moved around quite a bit and had cracked one of the welds.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

i broke my roof rack cause of the weight from my spare... looking for a swing now but no cash... dry rot very likely, and with the trie swing you have more spots to mount goodys like a hilift jerry cans etc
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Year: 89

Swing out in the back good

Top heavy bad

Quick Reply: Tire carrier roof top or swing out on rear bumper?