Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Regular XJ to Trail Rig

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cylindar 4.0L
Default Regular XJ to Trail Rig

How safe would that be to drive on the road, with no doors, and a smaller front bumper with cut off fenders??? Before I do the project would it be safe or anything with out getting pulled over and getting a pretty pink ticket??
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 92 & 99

My 92 is set up like that, haven't had any issues. Would depend on your local laws though.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1986
Engine: 4-banger

its all good just have driverside mirror and make shure your wheels dont stick out, then youll be fine
Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 PM

alright thanks. can they at least stick out 2 1/2 inches? or would that still be legal?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

check you rlocal laws some places you can get away with it others you cant got to your dmvs website or just ask a cop or state inspector
Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 AM

alright thanks. there is a police station just right down the road from where i live. ill ask them..
Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

If you ever get a ticket for running doorless, its more from an officers personal thoughts than it would be by law.... cuz by law you cannot run doorless unless your vehicle has a tub-lip, that way random dirt/trash/change or etc.. cant fall out of the vehicle on the road (littering) i've run my wrangler (when i had it) and both of previous cherokees doorless, and never any issues, but like the other guy said. Make sure you still have atleast 2 mirrors, so atleast one mirror off the side of your rig and you should be just fine
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM

alright thanks.. yeah im planning on getting 2 mirrors for driver side and passanger side off of a wrangler so i will be safe like that i will have a rear view mirrow as well. im also planning on putting fender flairs on so even if mud/trash/change or ect. comes up it will hit the flairs and i won't half to worry about me gettin pulled over. i am also planning on making my own light weight half doors out of some tubes for the back and front door(s)... that wouldn't be getting me pulled over would it??
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM

How about us dudes that cut our fenders so high that we can run flares? LoL, my front fenders are cut to the bodyline and almost the front door, and the backs are cut right at the back doors and plated in. I can't run a flare and mines all beat up lol. If I were a cop I'd give me a ticket
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM

lol alright yeah im gonna see what i can do...
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by mudbogginjeep
alright thanks. can they at least stick out 2 1/2 inches? or would that still be legal?
I'm going to be the least cool guy on the forum and point out that, whether or not it's legal, there's a reason those laws exist in the first place. Fenders keep [most of the] rocks and crap your tires pick up from the road from flying through the air and hitting other cars and drivers and folks walking their dogs and whatnot. If you've got 2.5 inches of tread sticking out the side of your Jeep, that's 2.5 inches of tread that can fling mud and rocks [big rocks from big tires, too] at speeds approaching how fast you're going down the road.

I've been hit - and I've had my car hit - by stuff coming out of big 4x4 tires going 60, and it's no joke. Consider getting fender flares you can mount to your cutout fenders: Rusty's [among other places] sells the Bushwhacker flares that'll buy you a couple of inches, and save those around you some grief.

Okay, I'm done being Buzz Killington for the moment!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Flares are a fantastic idea, but I'll just let my tires hang out. The top of those Bushwackers are the bottom of my fenders lol. I see your point and believe that but I can't run flares.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by 3278
I'm going to be the least cool guy on the forum and point out that, whether or not it's legal, there's a reason those laws exist in the first place. Fenders keep [most of the] rocks and crap your tires pick up from the road from flying through the air and hitting other cars and drivers and folks walking their dogs and whatnot. If you've got 2.5 inches of tread sticking out the side of your Jeep, that's 2.5 inches of tread that can fling mud and rocks [big rocks from big tires, too] at speeds approaching how fast you're going down the road.

I've been hit - and I've had my car hit - by stuff coming out of big 4x4 tires going 60, and it's no joke. Consider getting fender flares you can mount to your cutout fenders: Rusty's [among other places] sells the Bushwhacker flares that'll buy you a couple of inches, and save those around you some grief.

Okay, I'm done being Buzz Killington for the moment!
just to prove a point
who do i complain to about the BMW X5 that kicked a rock at my windshield last night? or how about the Semi i passed that almost caught my passenger in the head? larger offroad tires do help speed up the process i agree but its not just them its anyone/everyone!

also i run cut fenders, no front bumper right now, lifted with long arms, no doors or mirrors and my tires stick out past the body. i havent been pulled over yet! ive even gotten the thumbs up from a couple of cops next to me! also depends on where you live too.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM

i know some one that has bushwacker flairs and there not the greatest they break easily. i have flairs (the cheapo ones) there real good. i like them....
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

I choped my front fenders up and no fender flairs on the back. I just warn my friends that are following me not to follow to close. cause they do kick up allot of rocks and what not. Im just waiting to see what they say next year at my inspection for smog.

Quick Reply: Regular XJ to Trail Rig