Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

rear tire carrier on stock bumper idea

Old 03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default rear tire carrier on stock bumper idea

ok im going pick up a rear tire carrier off of an izuzu rodeo wednesday and this is my idea of making it work on the stock bumper. im converting it to a flip down and probbly not even gunna use the izuzu locking mechanism. this is what ive came up with. i konw it will probbly need some reinforcing on the inside part of the bumper any ideas let me know.

im not sure if you can see real well my idea. but basicly the extra arms going on the backside of the bumper and to the tire carrier are gunna slide in the little slots. the mechanism i plan on making is pictured above. this is to keep the carrier held up with pins and when it flips down it will keep it will catch it and keep from flipping down all the way to the ground. i may even put the sliders on the trailer hitch some kind of way. if youve got any better ideas are feel the need to critique this one let me know
Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Lookup detour usa tailbone. they have a nice frame setup for under the factory bumper. You will want something similar. Like a trailerhitch mounted inside the bumper. Using factory bumper mounts and trailer hitch mounts under the unibody.

The top hinge I would recess into the bumper or on the bumper face. If the hinge pint is on top you will likely hit it with the hatch. There is not much clearence there hight wise between the top of the bumper and the tailgate.

Figure out how you want to latch this before you build it. and consider rattles, and how you will fix those as well. The more problems you can find and adress before you start building the better the outcome will be.

I personally like the swing out style myself. But if you are going to do a drop down, I would try something designed more around a 3 link suspension to a hub plate off the inside of the bumper. so when you drop the tire it stays in an upright position.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 2.5L

the reason im going with the flip down is because its the easiest and cheapest to design with the materials and tools i have. for the lock. ill problly put a pin under the little sliding mechanism i came up with so that it sits on the pin when its up and when the pin is pulled it can slide down. ill probbly reinfoce the bumper with some tubing or angle iorn. ima just design as i build most likely