Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Planning on making half doors for the summer - what welder to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Planning on making half doors for the summer - what welder to buy?

I looked at tube doors, but I'd want covers for them, which means I'd need a welder and to pay a seamstress (or whatever) to make covers.. If I did half doors I could keep my speakers in the doors and keep mirrors if I opt to. Since I moved to wyoming, I've been doing alot of day trips. I think it'd be cool to mob half doors.

So - I need to buy a welder. I'll be buying a rear bumper and sliders. Living in an apartment with no garage means I don't have the space to start bigger fab projects.

What type of welder should I buy for thin sheet metal? I don't mind grinding as much as I'll be welding to make things look clean. Given that I'll be picking up red or blue doors means that I'll be painting the doors, too.

Thanks for suggestions, if any are offered. I know there are some inexpensive welders out there. I'd like something to make the doors and maybe some led tail light boxes.. That's about it. Ya'll probably have burly setups, but tame yourselves and help this N00b out.

Rating and type of welder are much appreciated.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Well, assuming that you are equally skilled in all phases of welding, a tig setup would probably be best.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 L

I've been a welder for almost 30 years and have used a LOT of different welding machines. For thin plate and sheet metal, with easy portability, go with a 110V MIG machine like a Millermatic 140 or Lincoln 140. Easy to setup and use and easy portability. Gives you the option of using self-shielded flux core so you don't need gas, but both have gas setups so if you choose to weld with a solid wire and gas shielding, all the stuff is there to do it. Both machines have a handle on the top so you can just grab it and go. As long as you have some 110V power around, you can weld!!

Both the machines I listed above are a little pricey, but are both really good quality. Lots of other brands out there, but the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. I have an older Millermatic 130 that is probably 15 years old and it has never let me down. Great machine.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mastrblastr
I've been a welder for almost 30 years and have used a LOT of different welding machines. For thin plate and sheet metal, with easy portability, go with a 110V MIG machine like a Millermatic 140 or Lincoln 140. Easy to setup and use and easy portability. Gives you the option of using self-shielded flux core so you don't need gas, but both have gas setups so if you choose to weld with a solid wire and gas shielding, all the stuff is there to do it. Both machines have a handle on the top so you can just grab it and go. As long as you have some 110V power around, you can weld!!

Both the machines I listed above are a little pricey, but are both really good quality. Lots of other brands out there, but the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. I have an older Millermatic 130 that is probably 15 years old and it has never let me down. Great machine.
100% exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L
Default Yep

I agree... In this rare case, smaller is actually better. Nice quality 110 will do fine, but I definately recommend using gas.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

delivering quality info in first 50 posts.. That's the sheez. Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

lincoln 140c, not the sp140t or mig pack or hd for that matter.
the c has infinite volt control where as the sp140 and cheap department store lincolns have a tapped dial.
if it clicks, don't buy it.

plus the 140c has cast drive, not plastic. the whip is better too.

all for the same price.

i just bought one a few days ago to replace my mig pack lincoln.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Year: 88-ish
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'll probably get flamed for recommending this welder instead of a Lincoln or Miller but honestly, it has treated my really well for the last two years with lots and lots of use. I have the Eastwood 135 and it works great for everything I have built. I put a full 8 point interior cage in with this welder, built my rear bumper, and welded in a new floor in the XJ. Infinite volt control and wire speed too. Plus it comes with a regulator for when your ready to bump up to gas.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 L

Blankdeluxe, if you have a good look, your machine probably takes the same consumables as either a Lincoln or Miller. That's because it's BUILT by either Lincoln or Miller. Quite a few machines are built by the bigger manufacturers and wrapped in different plastic. To be quite honest, I didn't even think of Eastwoods machines when I first posted. Probably a great alternative to a more expensive brand name machine.

Caged, good call on the infinate voltage control. My buddy has a Lincoln with infinate control whereas the Miller I have has 4 voltage settings. Way better to have that infinate control.

Ondarox, the self shielded wires have come a long way in the past few years. On a little heavier plate (1/4 and 3/16) get a roll of Lincoln NR211 in .035 and give it a try. You won't be disappointed I guarantee you! Just make sure to reverse the polarity when you run self shielded wire. Needs to be straight polarity or it won't weld worth shyte.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

seems like that eastwood has the best price. I'm a price guy. I wont be building an exo, sliders, or bumper.... but maybe I'd build a rack. That's enough to justify spending 300 on a welder + 200 on all the tidbits. Very much appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

lincoln comes with regulators and gas hook ups. two spools of wire (flux core and solid), all you need is the bottle.

and can be warranty serviced by any lincoln dealer. there's usually one in every city.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM

This is what i just bought and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread IMHO...

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler210/
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TN12valve
This is what i just bought and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread IMHO...

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler210/
Y'all are killing my welder budget. Sick rig. If I buy one used 1)am I an idiot 2) what to look for. I know to look for infinite adjustment, a mig, and what rating. I'll probably buy new but I am historically a sucker for a deal.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

I been using a Rhino 185 for 2 years now. Been using flux mostly but has the gas accomodations but i move it around so much that i idnt want to add the weight. But i welds beautiful with flux, very little spatter when set right with good wire. Parts are availabe at most welding supply shops and you can add a the aluminum attachment and use the same machine with a different gun and spool.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Year: 2000

Check out lowes they sell lincolns. The best hands down! also pawn shops this time of year

Quick Reply: Planning on making half doors for the summer - what welder to buy?