Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

My fabricated winch bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fabricated winch bumper

First I would like to give credit to whoever posted the Google Sketch Up drawings for this bumper, I am a fabricator/machinist by trade, so I know that a good design is what a good build starts from! I found some drawings of this bumper online that had all of the plates dimensioned in the flat and emailed them to my buddy who is a design engineer and very proficient in Solid Edge 3D modeling software. He drew up everything so it would be compatible with the 4000 watt Amada laser that employees of our shop have access to (off the clock of course) Once the G codes were all written for the laser, it was just a matter of having my other buddy who runs 2nd shift cut it out for me. Keep in mind that this bumper is made from a piece of 1/4" thick 48"x40" mill plate. This material is a much cleaner alloy that welds with better penetration than standard HRPO (Hot Roll Pickled in Oil). This $800,000 laser cut all of these pieces out in less than 4 min.! with accuracy of +/- .003". Now is where I got my 3rd buddy involved who is an awesome welder by trade. The shop I work for is a small group of people who share their skills with each other, I'm the machinist of the group. Below you will see pictures of the initial build, it still does not have the recovery lugs for the D rings, the winch mounting plate, or the bumper mounting brackets. Oh ya, did I mention we also got a powder coat line! The powder coat will have to wait until we paint some parts that are the color I want, then my friend Chris will hang it on the line and paint it "Black Jack" for me. This color is a flat black that is textured like a spray on bed liner. After I purchase my new 8,500 lb winch and install it on my ZJ, ill post more pics.

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/Wagers1867/
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO

Thats looks pretty good! Welcome to the site!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Year: 1994

Sweet to bad it wasnt for an XJ i would say I would buy one from you.... sweet looking welds ..... WOW...
Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

nothing like a $1,000,000+ dollars in tooling and some good friends

nice job!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Engine: 4.0

any links to the google sketch up 3d model?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:45 PM

I lost the link, but have the drawing saved as a .dft .dxf .pdf and .skp if you are interested. I could also send you the CNC program that cuts it out of a 48"x40" piece of material if you want, just let me know what works best for you.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by machinist
I lost the link, but have the drawing saved as a .dft .dxf .pdf and .skp if you are interested. I could also send you the CNC program that cuts it out of a 48"x40" piece of material if you want, just let me know what works best for you.
ahh no problem.
im in the process of designing my own on google sketch.

i used logans winch bumper for the main basis
and then i saw yours and threw in the cage type deal you got going for over the winch

thought id see if i could compare side by side 3d images but i think i got the idea and makin it all by freehand makes it that much better

ill see if i can get a link to my google sketch up on here soon
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Bumper mounting

OK, I got some time this week and plan on making my bumper mounting brackets. The question is, do I use only the 4 bolt holes in the uni-body that are already there, or do I go a few more inches back and grab the steering box bolts on the drivers side and drill a couple more on the passenger side? This bumper is not for cosmetic purposes, I plan on putting a winch on it and don't want it to prematurely fail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 PM

Year: 97+

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...e3f0a9ef98e48d

This is the link for the design. It was posted by pulltabmike on this forum. I bet he could give provide some input. I was unable to check it out but could have been my computer.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee

OK, I got some time this week and plan on making my bumper mounting brackets. The question is, do I use only the 4 bolt holes in the uni-body that are already there, or do I go a few more inches back and grab the steering box bolts on the drivers side and drill a couple more on the passenger side? This bumper is not for cosmetic purposes, I plan on putting a winch on it and don't want it to prematurely fail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you get the drawing of the mount I sent you??? I used the existing 4 holes that were in the frame rail, just have to notch the bracket so it will slide in. I also made 1/4" backing plates so I could sandwich the frame and make it a little stronger. It is +/- 9" from the front of the bumper to the original ZJ bumper.
Sweet job, makes it all that much easier when you have the right tools for the job. Mine was a backyard build, took a little more welding/grinding but I am happy with the results
Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CMMC
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...e3f0a9ef98e48d

This is the link for the design. It was posted by pulltabmike on this forum. I bet he could give provide some input. I was unable to check it out but could have been my computer.
Apparently the link is dead. I have the original sketchup drawings, anyone that needs them can PM me and I will send them to you...
Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by pulltabmike
Did you get the drawing of the mount I sent you??? I used the existing 4 holes that were in the frame rail, just have to notch the bracket so it will slide in. I also made 1/4" backing plates so I could sandwich the frame and make it a little stronger. It is +/- 9" from the front of the bumper to the original ZJ bumper.
Sweet job, makes it all that much easier when you have the right tools for the job. Mine was a backyard build, took a little more welding/grinding but I am happy with the results
Yes I got the drawing you sent me, thanks! Gonna take advantage of this nice weather here in Indiana an try and get some more accomplished. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Yes I got the drawing you sent me, thanks! Gonna take advantage of this nice weather here in Indiana an try and get some more accomplished. Thanks again.
Cool beans
I'm finishing the grinding on mine, plan on painting this afternoon.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Wish that google link to the specs let me in:-/ got em in any other format?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Manciniak
Wish that google link to the specs let me in:-/ got em in any other format?
Pm me your email addy and i'll send you a copy

Quick Reply: My fabricated winch bumper