Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

My Custom Fab'd Rear Bumper Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Custom Fab'd Rear Bumper Build

This is what i started out with, some 5/16" plates with some 2" wide 1/8" square.. Notched the bottom of body lip so the bolts could be accessed easier...

Got the foundation of the bumper welded securely against the intended piece of steel used for the bumper, added a gusset on each side top/botton as shown..

The piece i used for the bumper itself is a piece of 5 1/4" wide forth lift fork extenders thats 5/16" thick. when i cut the ends, i cut em to go along the contour of the quarter panel.

Got both ends welded up inside and out, and finished boxing in so there wasnt a gap inbetween on the top section under the tail lights, where the soap stone mark gets cup..

Its bolted on the Jeep, checkin it out once last time for any flaws, inwhich its came out perfect and very satisfied with it... Where the 2 shinny spots are outward of the cent is where im gonna weld my clevis tabs two.. ive got some 1/2" plate in gonna cut 2 pieces out of and make 1, be an inch thick then.. As you can see, all the welds smoothed down nicely....

A little detail on how i made my ends, made a notch as you can see on the bottom, gives it a diffrent, yet custom look...

Some more detail on my bumper i was talking about above when i cut the ends off the piece of steel used for the bumper itself, bent and shaped so it fits the contour of the lower quarters...

And one more, i build my bumpers to be as descrete as possible but not to the point they dont do their job, as anyone knows a bumper that hangs down or sticks out too much only gets caught on things and also will get you hung, so with how i built this one, dont think ill have any issues of getting hung up on anything... Also, even though the passenger side shown is kinda beat up, i built both ends identical...

So thats it on my progress so far for my back bumper build, gonna add the clevis tabs, sand it all down and throw the paint to it, though before i do, im still debating on adding a receiver hitch adapter to the center of the bumper, incase later on i decide to pull anything or also, a remote winch that can be used in the front or back... Front bumper build coming soon!.. Anyone have any comments or such, please post.. Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

That looks good. Very nice craftmanship, clean!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

NICE
Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994

Looks good, I like it.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be a buzzkill, but if you plan on using the bumper for extractions, recovery, or towing, the eight bolts you have use could be insufficient, and pull the hardware out of the sheet metal. If you opened up the ends of the unirail right where those bolts are, there are a lot more places to mount the bumper to the unibody. The weld work is very good, and I'm not trying to poop on your parade at all, just wanted to mention that!! Best of luck!!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Not to be a buzzkill, but if you plan on using the bumper for extractions, recovery, or towing, the eight bolts you have use could be insufficient, and pull the hardware out of the sheet metal. If you opened up the ends of the unirail right where those bolts are, there are a lot more places to mount the bumper to the unibody. The weld work is very good, and I'm not trying to poop on your parade at all, just wanted to mention that!! Best of luck!!

im with cos i kno i stole a lil bit of his idea, im not trying to rain on your parade either its just a safety thing but other than that it really looks great man i love it
Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by utah_redneck
That looks good. Very nice craftmanship, clean!
x2 ! Nice looking welds...very professional looking.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

I am currently making mine, and my welds look like total crap compared to yours. (I only started welding about 3 weeks ago). I agree on more tie ins.

How heavy is your bumper?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks for all the comment guys along with the advise, i know i didnt say anything when i posted this thread but trust me, the concern of tie ins to the unibody is still on my mind in the making of doing it.. On my brackets, ive been debating on cutting off the outside bolt holes, and cutting out the back of the body where those 2 bolt up, welding me a plate off the outside of my exsisting bracket inwhich will bolt down the inside of the unibody, make sense?.. tie it in like a front bumper basically...

Also, the bumper is prety heavy, ill try an get a exact weight of it tomorrow, im too picky about stuff so it'll be off and on 10 more times probably before im done with it... lol

Last edited by Swamp Donkey; 09-01-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM

Year: 95

Looks Good!! Be sure to get some pics up of the front one when you get it done!!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.o

looks really good.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Great setup, does the job and doesn't get in the way

-Cody
Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Wagoneer

nice fab job! and again good welds
Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks guys. I weighed this unit this morning and it weighs in at 60 pounds, thats without any tie ins added yet nor the 1" thick clevis tabs added. Im gonna add the tie in plates to the inside of the rail on both sides...

*Also, im debating on boxing in under the tail light to fill in the gap, what do you guys think? Do it, or leave it like it is?..

Last edited by Swamp Donkey; 09-02-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

I was wondering if you had thought about the gap. IMO I think you should fill it in, makes it alittle cleaner and looks alittle bit more like it could have been a factory OEM part. But that's just my .02.

-Cody

Quick Reply: My Custom Fab'd Rear Bumper Build