Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Matt's bumper build

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: none other
Default Matt's bumper build

ok so i decieded to build me a front bumper. main body is out of some good ol 2x5x1/4. frame plates are out of some hefty 1/4. going to make the shackle mounts out of 3 pieces of 1/4 for a total of you guessed it 3/4". this idea has been in my head for a while after seeing the bumpers from JCR off road, but knobturner75 beat me to it. anyways i did it the same way he did. ran my frame mounts all the way through from the frame to the shackle mounts. i didnt capture all the process as you have seen peices of metal cut before so i didnt want to bore you with that. i did however drill a hole in my alternator while drilling the holes for the frame mounts. DOH. anyways thats where i am as of tonight.
Attached Images      
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Nice job so far! You sure the alternator is toast? How deep did the bit go?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM

thanks and oh yeah its toast. it was charging for about 2 minutes then stopped charging darn the luck. oh well hopfully craigslist can save the day.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

lookin good so far. looks just like mine that i made last week, but mine was out of c-channel
Old 08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

looking good, Matt! Can't wait to see the finished product Saturday.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 AM

Year: 1996

I was looking at what you've done before reading and thought "well, that looks awfully familiar." Then I read what you wrote. Glad I gave you some inspiration to get to fabbing it up. It looks good so far. Also, that sucks about your alternator. Since you have to replace it, you might look into replacing it with one from a Grand now. They put out more amps.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988

impressive hole it gives it character
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by knobturner75
I was looking at what you've done before reading and thought "well, that looks awfully familiar." Then I read what you wrote. Glad I gave you some inspiration to get to fabbing it up. It looks good so far. Also, that sucks about your alternator. Since you have to replace it, you might look into replacing it with one from a Grand now. They put out more amps.

haha yeah i told you in your thread you did exactly what i was planning on doing. right now im having fun drilling the shackle holes once they are drilled i will get some pics put up today. it was helpful though seeing the way you did your pie cuts because i was stumped from over thinking it. but got them done up.

your right i should have done the grand but didnt think about it plus isnt there something you have to do differently to get it mounted?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 PM

I'm not real sure if it mounts differently. I'm thinking I've read somewhere that you might be right about that. Yeah those shackle mounts suck. My drill kept kicking on me and ramming the soft fleshy part between my first and second knuckle into the edge of the tube. It was soooo sore for the next few days.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM

got it all finished and mounted. right now its just mounted with grade 5 bolts until i can get to work and snag a few grade 8s to replace them with. on the outside pieces i made some gussets out of 3/16 dimonad plate just to add some more beef to it on impact with some rocks. cutting the holes for the shackle mounts was no fun at all. i kept it low profile and as close as i could and love the way it turned out. i also plated between the frame up front on the front and bottom with some more of the 3/16 dimonad to toughen that up too. i can get more pics of whatever if anyone wants just used my phone because i dont feel like resizing.
Attached Images      
Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 PM

Wow. That looks really good. Good job.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 PM

thanks man. was a pain but in the end im glad to be able to say i made it opposed to i bolted it on. what a painfully good feeling.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM

I understand completely. I haven't seen any that are made like ours. It's probably a cost of production thing. You gonna do a rear to match it?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM

Year: 87

looks good man almost like you new what you were doen
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by knobturner75
I understand completely. I haven't seen any that are made like ours. It's probably a cost of production thing. You gonna do a rear to match it?
so true about noone making them like ours with the shackle mount part of the bumper and frame mounts. as for the rear i have no idea yet havent been searching any really. i do love the C-ROK rear bumper alot. but not sure if im going to find more box or build out of plate either. it will for sure have the quarter panel protection incorporated too. i might take the start on it after the first but i have to get it done before the annual trip on the 17th weekend in september so i dont know if im going to tackle it or not.

Originally Posted by bassackwards
looks good man almost like you new what you were doen
thanks derrick when you going to come and see it in person and get your doors made?

Quick Reply: Matt's bumper build