Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

lets kick around ideas for on the trail air compressors!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lets kick around ideas for on the trail air compressors!

So you've been wanting a air source in ur xj for on the trail, but you don't have the money for the warn powerplant huh! Well neither do I! Lol
I've been pondering this for a while now & looked into every thing from a arb comressor to making my bumpers out tube sealed & have a air chuck!
But the best idea I've had is useing a comression tester fitting on an air hose the!!! piston should generate 120psi, enough to run just about any air tool
or fill up some swamper pritty quick! Let me know what u guys think? Or other home brewed air set ups u've done or seen!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i have a titan 12v compressor. i want to hard wire it in the back of the xj with my rear bumper as a tank.
only i have the older twin head style.

http://titanwinches.com/index.php?ac...d&productId=24
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to turn my A/C compressor into an on board air compressor, with my bumpers serving as tanks. I have to wait on that set up, but I needed air out on the trail...NOW!! It's not real fun to drive around on the HWY at 10 psi!! I went to Pep Boys and picked up the Max Flow Tsunami portable air compressor for $60.00. I read XJJEEPTHING's description of it, and thought for $60.00. I'd give it a shot. I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. This weekend I used it go from 10psi up to 30psi+, and did all 4 tires in about 15 minutes. I do have to tell you guys though, that I went to use it on a buddies Jeep right after I finished mine, and it shut off after 2 tires. It has a thermal switch in it, and it reset after about 20 minutes, then we finished the rest of his tires. If you are just airing your own tires up, I think it works great, but it does have a duty cycle, and I just wanted to let you guys know!! HTH!!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

ive been lookin at either a powertank setup or doing a vivair compressor in the back direct wired and switched.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Well what do u guys think about the conpression tester hose idea! Do u think it could work with the flaw the the engine would have to be running/miss fireing???
Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L renix

not really sure what you are talking about. i dont think you could get the volume of air needed to run anything off of it
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
I want to turn my A/C compressor into an on board air compressor, with my bumpers serving as tanks. I have to wait on that set up, but I needed air out on the trail...NOW!! It's not real fun to drive around on the HWY at 10 psi!! I went to Pep Boys and picked up the Max Flow Tsunami portable air compressor for $60.00. I read XJJEEPTHING's description of it, and thought for $60.00. I'd give it a shot. I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. This weekend I used it go from 10psi up to 30psi+, and did all 4 tires in about 15 minutes. I do have to tell you guys though, that I went to use it on a buddies Jeep right after I finished mine, and it shut off after 2 tires. It has a thermal switch in it, and it reset after about 20 minutes, then we finished the rest of his tires. If you are just airing your own tires up, I think it works great, but it does have a duty cycle, and I just wanted to let you guys know!! HTH!!
Cos

That is the best option by far. I can fill tires in a minute or less from flat. If you rev the motor, the AC pump will pump 8 cfm at 100 psi, about double a 6 hp shop compressor. Here is my set up, tank is on the back and not shown. It is elaborate, but fully automatic an requires no brains at all to operate.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

im pretty sure they sell some that hook up to the 12volt and fill up fairly quickly. theyre portable of course so if its a quick tire fillup or whatever they do pretty well.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Running the cylinder should hold a constant 120psi enough for any air ratchet or impact!
& if your worried about "volume" you could just have someone rev the engine up to about 2000-3000rpms right!?!?
Idk I'm gonna give it a shot & see how it holds up before I will rely in it for trail repairs!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Cos

That is the best option by far. I can fill tires in a minute or less from flat. If you rev the motor, the AC pump will pump 8 cfm at 100 psi, about double a 6 hp shop compressor. Here is my set up, tank is on the back and not shown. It is elaborate, but fully automatic an requires no brains at all to operate.

I love that dual A/C compressor set up, that is trick!! Living in CO, I don't really need A/C, so I can just use the one I have in it already, but that really close to what I was thinking...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
Running the cylinder should hold a constant 120psi enough for any air ratchet or impact!
& if your worried about "volume" you could just have someone rev the engine up to about 2000-3000rpms right!?!?
Idk I'm gonna give it a shot & see how it holds up before I will rely in it for trail repairs!
it will work perfect just un plug the injector on that cylinder before use
or you will be pumping air fuel mix into your tire that can go BOOM
Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

Two compressors? IMPRESSIVE ! (got some more pics or a story behind it? )

I'm only going to run a single York compressor for my setup (mainly because I'm still keeping the Sanden for A/C ).

But I aquired most of the parts for a CO2 setup for free. Only thing left is the regulator itself.

So I will have two different systems to work with.

Joe
Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Twin compressor, and a 4.3 Vortec, yeah, it's dat sexy!! (insert horrible fat guy from Austin Powers impression!!)
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Ya thanks but I had already planned on unplugging the injector!!! Lol I'll let u guys know how it works out!
I think it should be a cheap yet priceless item to have!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Twin compressor, and a 4.3 Vortec, yeah, it's dat sexy!! (insert horrible fat guy from Austin Powers impression!!)
Thanks fellas. As far as the story goes, I got tired of not having air when I wanted it. Went out in the rocks one day and lost a bead and no full sized spare. Put the donut spare on and made it about 15 feet before it went flat. Went about half a mile on a steel rim, down hill fortunately. So, I immediately got the full size spare that has yet to touch the ground and years later I was down at the AC shop and started asking questions about my AC system after installing the 4.3 I bought a kit to allow me to change over to a Sanden, which was recommended by the shop. I put the kit in and was unhappy with how it looked afterwards. Kind of flimsy. So I set the wire feed up for aluminum and got to thinking, if I went to that much work, why not put another in. So I ordered up another compressor and did a little more welding and bought a longer belt. I have had to fine tune it, but the basic design has stayed the same.

Quick Reply: lets kick around ideas for on the trail air compressors!