Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

lengthening stock control arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default lengthening stock control arms

has anyone done this? Is it not reccomended? Is it not cost effective when compaired to either buying prebuilt or building your own with heim joints? I am only lifting my ZJ by around 2 inches to run 31s but was thinking about cutting all my control arms in half in the middle then extending them 1" to 1 1/2" and also box them in on the bottom side to make them stiffer.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Because you don't need to do that just for a 2 inch lift. Leave them alone.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

well, I don't like how close the back wheels look when the truck starts to get lifted and the wheel moves forward towards the wheel well. Plus I have a lot of steel so it will actually be no cost to me with exception of getting new bushing. The truck has 250,000 miles on it, so I know the bushings will need to be changed and thought I would lengthen them while I have them out. My truck will see sandy fire trails and dirt roads, no rock crawling, so suspension flex isn't a huge concern. That is another reason why I would lengthen stock ones instead of buying new ones.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ToyComa
well, I don't like how close the back wheels look when the truck starts to get lifted and the wheel moves forward towards the wheel well. Plus I have a lot of steel so it will actually be no cost to me with exception of getting new bushing. The truck has 250,000 miles on it, so I know the bushings will need to be changed and thought I would lengthen them while I have them out. My truck will see sandy fire trails and dirt roads, no rock crawling, so suspension flex isn't a huge concern. That is another reason why I would lengthen stock ones instead of buying new ones.

2'' isnt really enough to worry about......if your that **** about it the only thing i could suggest is making your own but...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

never seen xj arms but xj arms are u shaped sheetmetal with bushings on the end. I would think it would be just as easy or easier to cut the ends that hold the bushings off and weld them to the correct length tube or square stock then it would be to cut, extend, and box, the stock ones.

would be even easier to get builder parts : http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Builde...E&part=RM12600 and weld them to appropriate length of tube since you have to do bushings anyways

I also think it would be easier to do nothing, but if you want to go for it.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

I'd leave it alone honestly. If you really want to worry about it either buy a full set of adjustable aftermarket CAs or fab some up yourself if you have the tools and knowhow.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:24 PM

I too am thinking of doing this. I have around six inches of lift and it has stock arms. I was just curious on how much you guys think I should extend them?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by bcumbie
I too am thinking of doing this. I have around six inches of lift and it has stock arms. I was just curious on how much you guys think I should extend them?
i wouldnt do it , stock arms are crap ! my buddy even reinforced his and still destroyed them , buy something after market , it'll save you alot in the long run
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

stock control arms are supposed to be crap. they are the collapsible point that protects your unibody from damage. I make my own control arms (fixed).

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Arm_Chart.htm
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM

thanks posjeepxj, thats what I was looking for. I have built a few trucks with airride etc. so I am not affraid of build arms etc. I really just wanted some measurements.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

I have stock control arms and almost 6in of lift and it looks fine . Heres a couple pics.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by bcumbie
Holy crap! 6" of lift and you still got stock controll arms! i bet that thing rides stiff. it sounds like long arms are in your future.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 2.5L

i have 5 in. in the front with stock control arms and i dont find it rides that bad. i def. need longer though they bind up flexed and they hit the shock mounts when the suspension is drooped
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by troy fritz
I have stock control arms and almost 6in of lift and it looks fine . Heres a couple pics.

Doesnt quite look like 6in to me. also if you dont adjust you control arms it throws your caster way off. It is a good way to get vibes and or shell front u joints faster.

I recomend that everyone buy a good set of adjustible uppers and lowers with some form of flex joints and you never have to worry again.

for those who would like to build there own control arms with flex joints check out ballistic fabrications website for alot of your builder needs including joints. trail gear joints are the cheapest, joiny joints are good. there are a bunch of flex joints out there so do you research and make sure that they offer rebuild kits for the joint that you buy
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Year: 1990

that's not 6" of lift, I have around 4" of lift and mine is bigger than that. Sorry.
And just buy some rustys adjustable control arms, they are cheap and work great. Stock arms buckle when under enough pressure.

Quick Reply: lengthening stock control arms