Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Jeep Comanche Behind the seat Molle Panel!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 291 Likes on 240 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O
Default Jeep Comanche Behind the seat Molle Panel!

So this is something i've wanted to make for some time now and while i started working on this midway through this summer its looking like i'm finally going to be putting some steel under the cutter!

Please enjoy my doodle for example of what im trying to achieve here

Picture frame worthy work

So the inspiration for this little project is the fact that the MJ's i have do not have the carpet trim for the back side of the cab. This could easily be supplemented with cardboard, fabric and spray clue but that would just look fitting and not serve much purpose. Now a Molle panel on the other hand provides storage options that are nearly limitless while also covering the exposed cab which in my opinion is about the only thing that carpet trim does.

I've brought this up before to the masses and one of the consistent critique's is the mounting setup. There was multiple requests for a "No additional holes" setup and retain only factory holes - Sorry, if that's what your hoping for its not gonna be here.

In my setup (IDEALY) i would retain the 4-6 factory PAL nuts along the sides with some L brackets that offset the panel to be level with the B-pillar trims. The top edge of the panel will secure directly to the interior brace in 4 spots via riv-nuts. These would space out evenly between the factory trim tree's on either side of center. Now the bottom side of the panel would secure again using L brackets and riv-nuts in 3-5 spots along the bottom interior brace.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Cardboard is the best start for something like this especially when your a hands on kinda fellow.

The basic outline is 20.5" tall by 46" wide

And about 2 hours later with a couple mistakes i have this masterpiece. 1"x1" molle panel. For now it has a complete 1" border but i'm contemplating 1/2" border instead. This would give me 22 squares on each row and one 1/2" hole in the center. This would also give me more holes on the bottom to utilize as matching the hump in the floor definitely takes a bite out of this panel.

That side tabs are only 1/2" wide to ensure they will fit in the notches with the B-pillar mounts. Bottom tabs on the corners are 1" wide and the 3 in the middle are also 1/2" wide for now but that could change. Top edge is wide open for however many mounting points i see fit. The corners and center are clearanced for the factory trim tree's to fit flush without obstruction.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Cut out and test fit is promising

Looks even better with the back trim panel in place as well!

Now lets talk about these side tabs. For 1 the 1/2" wide tab isn't gonna do it for me, im gonna go for 5/8" minimum maybe aven 3/4". Also potentially going to knock them off all together and instead go with an S bracket that mounts between the panel and interior.

These bottom tabs are also going to fatten up some as well. All five of them are going to be 1"x1" tabs

Going to connect with a buddy of mine that does plasma cutting for me from time to time this weekend. We'll see how this goes, i know steel prices are definitely not what they used to be :O
Old 12-18-2022, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

I got setup for some cutting some steel this weekend and got some 1st versions in hand.

Soo the plan while i had the time was to get 3 of these cutout. 2 of them for the MJ's i have and then 1 for a buddy of mines truck. I decided to ditch the attached tabs all together all the around this panel for ease of shape and also to cutdown on wasted material leftover. There was also a safety concern for handling these panels with thin pointy tabs hanging off 3 sides. Instead i will make these mounts separate.

After the 1st panel was cut out i decided these side mount holes could use some adjustability so they got slotted

Bent up some Z tabs for the side mounts and then some L tabs for the bottom edge. Again added slots to the tabs for adjustability so these panels fit properly and align with those PAL nut studs

Will be sharing the finished install just as soon as i get these cleaned up and some paint added.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

So i made a mistake, for #1 - I cut more than 1 panel without any test fitting. Now for #2 i also neglected to consciously consider looking at other molle panels AND also did not test any molle gear on my template before transferring to steel. The design behind my panel would work but is not what i had in mind. 1" x 1" squares with a 1" gap doesn't line up well with the molle gear i have on hand. This led me back to the drawing board to either modify what i have on hand or start over!

Soo i decided to just knock a little more material out of my current templates. Instead of 1"x1" grid I went to 1" tall by 1.5" wide and .5" side gap. Did nothing to the 1" vertical gap. Fwiw doing this by hand with my plasma cutter wasn't terrible but its not clean soo bear with me on rough edges.
Top half is with the extra material cutout and the bottom half is only drawn out for material removal

Thankfully this was a satisfying solution because the fit looks propper now.

I have yet to get my hands on extra Pal nuts or the rivnut/nutsert kit i ordered so just some placement test fitting tonight

The other immediate change i decided on could go either way but when i designed the template it was intended on sitting directly on the crossmember in the cab ^as pictured above^. These bottom L tab mounts are only 1/8" thick but with if i leave this panel as is it would lift the panel that 1/8" and also make for some potential alignment issues with the Pal nuts on either side. I could either knock 1/8" of material off the entire bottom of the panel OR notch the panel enough to clear each L tab. I'm digging the notch setup!

Just as soon as the extra hardware and rivnut/nutsert kit shows up I'll get to mounting this panel up godd.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang. Nice work. Just stumbled on this after making one myself today. I used a Rough Country panel meant for the rear bed wall on Tacoma.

Any idea what nut can be used to mount to the studs where the rear panel would mount?

Old 12-27-2022, 03:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Caleb Christy
Dang. Nice work. Just stumbled on this after making one myself today. I used a Rough Country panel meant for the rear bed wall on Tacoma.

Any idea what nut can be used to mount to the studs where the rear panel would mount?

Those are what I'm referring to when I say PAL nuts. Its the factory stamped steel nut.

I honestly don't know the threads size itself I'm just going off the reference from the on I still have. Have yet to order any or look arouns the local parts stores for them either. With the holiday and how cold it's been I haven't gotten much done with these panels.

I dig the alternative use of the bed panel you have there though.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
Those are what I'm referring to when I say PAL nuts. Its the factory stamped steel nut.

I honestly don't know the threads size itself I'm just going off the reference from the on I still have.
ah. Mine are missing off my truck so I didn’t realize they were the stamped steel kind. I hope they hold well enough for this weight. I guess I could put a few rivnuts in the wall if I had to.

The studs appear to be 1.5 pitch thread according to my pitch finder tool and I think they are an M5 size but I can’t find anything like that anywhere.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Caleb Christy
ah. Mine are missing off my truck so I didn’t realize they were the stamped steel kind. I hope they hold well enough for this weight. I guess I could put a few rivnuts in the wall if I had to.

The studs appear to be 1.5 pitch thread according to my pitch finder tool and I think they are an M5 size but I can’t find anything like that anywhere.
it's because of this thought that im going the route I have setup with secure mounts top and bottom and then these side PAL nuts will really just be there to keep the panel from chattering or bowing.

I don't know the package deal but for some of these guys the inside wall of their back cab actually have factory angled supports. Running from bottom outside corners(ish) towards the center top support. They will easily be able to support any weight with an extra rivnut there.

As far as the size and thread I will share what I find when I get around to pocketing mine and bringing it down to the parts store. Ive looked them up and in a vague way they are absolutely easily found but the actual thread is not brought up much at all
Old 12-28-2022, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

This night wasnt the most productive, mostly cleaning up the mess from all the plasma cutting and also flap disc work to the slag leftover.

I did however get the correct PAL nuts for the trim studs.

original stamped nut on the left and the new large surface nut on the right. I say large surface nut because the guy at the parts store made a reference to these being available as a small or large surface nut. This bag of 20 only cost me $7 and some change.

Very satisfying fitment!

its looking to be a bit warmer this weekend so i may get out and test mount this panel then.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:53 AM

Very cool.

let me know how the studs hold up. Someone on Facebook said they break fairly easily. I’m considering adding some addition mounting points or replacing those studs with some rivnuts and stronger bolts.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Well its been a little too long since i got to making some headway on this.

Tonight i brushed the dust off and finally test fitted the side and bottom tabs. They both got a little trimming but all fits really well.

The adjustability incorporated in both the molle panel and these side tabs were Critical! I think they could use a little more length overall to the "slot" but As-Is its looking good to me!

No Rivnuts/Nutzerts just yet, i'm holding out for a final finished product to fully install the panel.

Overall changes to be made are the bottom mounting points of the panel needed to be clearanced to allow the L bracket to mount flush with the panel itself. The amount of material in length on the Z tabs for the sides got shaved down. There was excess material outside of the mounting tabs that was interfering with the interior trim panel.

I'm going to coordinate with my Plasma table guy hopefully soon for the changes and to get another panel cut out
Old 04-09-2023, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Finally installed for good!

(12)1/4-20 nutserts and 4 of the 6 PAL nuts later this thing is Secure!

Top interior trim panel installed and fitting nicely - really i've only used 3 of the potential 5/6 available

Kinetic rope in a universal mag pouch and the small pouch has my soft shackle and ****** block. Gonna order a few more of these smaller pouches for D-rings and potentially a small tool assortment

Bench seat back installed

No obstructions and securely stored away.

The following users liked this post:
Outlaw Star (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 07:14 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Badass brother