Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Ideas for Making an XJ's cabin quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC 4.0L I6 H.O. 242ci (really a 244 being a 1992)
Default Ideas for Making an XJ's cabin quieter?

Alright I love everything about my XJ so I shouldn't really be complaining about this, but it's pretty loud on the freeway. When school is back in session for me I have to drive to and from my parent's houses which are about 3 1/2 hours apart every other weekend. I'll probably start getting tired of all the noise in the car so I was wondering how I could tone it down a bit. I also want to install a nice audio setup soon to replace the "accusound" factory stereo. I've heard of Dynomatting, but on a teenager's seasonal budget, I gotta go cheap. Anyone up for giving me some suggestions? I'm open to pretty much any idea besides "don't drive an XJ then" hahahaha
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I'd try some of that roll on truck bedliner under your carpet, it should make it quieter and it is a hella lot cheaper than dynomat .... and props for driving an xj :P
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 L (242 CID

pull up the carpet and go buy some ruberized undercoating in spray cans they sell it at parts stores and most places that cary spray paint it will deaden the sound allot bed liner works too but is more expensive
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Go on ebay and check out the knockoff dynamat. you could also try carpet padding for a little extra deadening.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

fix the rust holes.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by caged
fix the rust holes.
LOL I only have one on my lower right quarter panel. Which is going to be repaired sometime this week. The rest of it is completely solid. even the floors
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by MurderedXJ
Go on ebay and check out the knockoff dynamat. you could also try carpet padding for a little extra deadening.
I was thinking about getting some roofing seal stuff, it's exactly like dynomat only its $13 a roll and i can get it at lowes, EXOcontralto featured it in one of his vids on youtube and i might give it a shot by putting bedliner down first, then going for the dynomat stuff over it, then putting in some thicker padding and finally the carpet.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

The window deflectors made a difference for me once I put a set on.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

my main noises came from the door seals. my 10 year old weather stripping was shot so i went to the hardware store and bought some weather stripping and layered it. now it leaks alot less and is ALOT quieter. only leak comes from over the mirror on the windshield seal and thats only during very heavy storms. but now my mud tires roar down the road so i hear the tires more than anything. its a very soothing roar however hahaha
Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 AM

Haha great ideas, I might install window deflectors but i don't know if they would look good on MY jeep being all chromed out and adding something black might throw off the color scheme. I'm definitely going to try replacing my weather stripping because mine is all original and the smoker window things that aren't functional on my model, leak a little when i wash my xj. So it's time for the replacement anyway
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

black doesnt mess up the chrome look at all. check out my jeep, ive got chrome wheels with a red and black two tone and i love the look! i had black rims but got tired of that look. and the weather stripping helps out alot no joke. my girl and i used to have to yell back and forth to eachother and thats back when it was bone stock...the stripping was that gone..

now even this last weekend, i landed on a rock and the tcase skid took most of the impact but the exhaust got messed up and ripped off. the welds broke on the hanger before the cat so it was coming right out under the passengers seat and it was still decently quiet in the cab. my floors are bedlined too. i fixed the exhaust now and it is nice and quiet again.

as for a sound system. i use to have a kenwood deck, but it ended up dying. now ive got a sony xplode deck and kenwood 6 1/2s in the doors and hatch, an 800w xplode amp and 2 12" subs in the back. it sounds amazing in the jeep.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Name:  ear-protection.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  11.7 KB

Sorry ... I had to.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by aircruiser
black doesnt mess up the chrome look at all. check out my jeep, ive got chrome wheels with a red and black two tone and i love the look! i had black rims but got tired of that look. and the weather stripping helps out alot no joke. my girl and i used to have to yell back and forth to eachother and thats back when it was bone stock...the stripping was that gone..

now even this last weekend, i landed on a rock and the tcase skid took most of the impact but the exhaust got messed up and ripped off. the welds broke on the hanger before the cat so it was coming right out under the passengers seat and it was still decently quiet in the cab. my floors are bedlined too. i fixed the exhaust now and it is nice and quiet again.

as for a sound system. i use to have a kenwood deck, but it ended up dying. now ive got a sony xplode deck and kenwood 6 1/2s in the doors and hatch, an 800w xplode amp and 2 12" subs in the back. it sounds amazing in the jeep.
Yeah I gotta yell on the freeway right now hahaha.... I mean my jeep has a lot of chrome though (being a laredo). Chrome grille, mirrors, gutters, luggage carriers, 4x4 emblems, door handles, all that stuff. lol if i can find chrome window guards i'll do it, that or if i get some extra cash in next week's pay check.

Kenwood makes nice decks sorry to hear about your loss lol Does the xplod deck have enough preamp for those 6 1/2s? I want to run pioneer 5 1/4s in the doors and trunk, make a rear sound bar for the ceiling when i replace my headliner, do 2 12s, and put in either an alpine deck, or this really cool looking soundstream touch screen deck for single DIN slots. I was looking at the xplod decks and i didn't know if i would have to buy an amp for my speakers though so i had my doubts, if it works for you, you may have just gotten me to go out and buy a sony deck tommorrow lol
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 AM
CF Veteran

its not as good as the kenwood deck but it plays music just fine haha. my parents had given the xplode deck for Christmas to put in my old mustang. but after the transmission went out on the stang, it sat in my room. i threw the xplode in after the kenwood went down. its been just fine no complaints!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by aircruiser
my main noises came from the door seals. my 10 year old weather stripping was shot so i went to the hardware store and bought some weather stripping and layered it. now it leaks alot less and is ALOT quieter. only leak comes from over the mirror on the windshield seal and thats only during very heavy storms. but now my mud tires roar down the road so i hear the tires more than anything. its a very soothing roar however hahaha
You replaced your which seals with regular whether stripping? All of my seals need replaced but OEM or even JY seals are outrageous.

Quick Reply: Ideas for Making an XJ's cabin quieter?