Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

homemade frame stiffeners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default homemade frame stiffeners?

any thoughts and/or ideas how to do it? i was thinkin just make a c channel big enough to fit around, also wondering if just 1/4 inch 2x2 angle iron would be enough and just run it along the frame on the inside and outside? open to any and all suggestions
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

The problem with the XJ frame is it is not uniform. It varies in thickness and width and has extra surface layers in places so you can't really lay a piece of angle iron on it and have it tight.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
The problem with the XJ frame is it is not uniform. It varies in thickness and width and has extra surface layers in places so you can't really lay a piece of angle iron on it and have it tight.
i would just buy the tnt/treks stiffners..they are only $130. guess its up to you on what your time is worth....fabbing your own will take forever beacause the rail width and hieght differs. lots of cutting and welding

not to mention the clean up on all the welds

just my thoughts
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjbones
i would just buy the tnt/treks stiffners..they are only $130. guess its up to you on what your time is worth....fabbing your own will take forever beacause the rail width and hieght differs. lots of cutting and welding

not to mention the clean up on all the welds

just my thoughts
thats kinda what i was thinkin but i was wondering cause i can get the steel i need for free from work, so its set then ill just buy some. now how thick are the tnt ones? are they thick enough to weld rock sliders to?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
thats kinda what i was thinkin but i was wondering cause i can get the steel i need for free from work, so its set then ill just buy some. now how thick are the tnt ones? are they thick enough to weld rock sliders to?
That is the rub for me. I want to be able to weld my long arm mounts to it. I checked another brand and it was only 10 gage. Not quite heavy enough for what I want.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

yeah thats def gonna be a pretty big selling point for me cause rock sliders are my next step, but i guess i could make them now and then just cut them down once i throw the frame stiffeners on there.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered Users

i dont know the thickness but i welded 1/4 thick plate to my unibody about 6'' long and then welded my sliders to that to spread the load over a bigger area....i then notched the tnt stiffs to fit around the 1/4'' plate and welded them together. dont think they will ever come off or flex
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

do you have a blue print or materials list from building your sliders so i can figure out what all i need to grab from work
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Registered Users

no. but here is a pretty good idea......i used 3x4 box...each side of the jeeps rockers is just a little over 5 ft long. the steel shop i go to will only sell in 12' and 24' sticks......so i bought a 24' stick because i decided to use the same to run to my "frame". went to home depot ant bought 24''x6''x1/4'' flate plate steel. used the flat plate for the sliders to attatch to the unibody.

i ran mine angled exactly with th rockers angle just to be different and i have had a buch of people ask me where i got my sliders cause they want some.....also by putting them at this angle..when i slide over rocks it usually only runs on one corner of the steel so less surface is toughing rocks....slides way better than my old flat ones i was left over with around 7 ft of steel but have since used it on other projects
Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

no. but here is a pretty good idea......i used 3x4 box...each side of the jeeps rockers is just a little over 5 ft long. the steel shop i go to will only sell in 12' and 24' sticks......so i bought a 24' stick because i decided to use the same to run to my "frame". went to home depot ant bought 24''x6''x1/4'' flate plate steel. used the flat plate for the sliders to attatch to the unibody.

i ran mine angled exactly with th rockers angle just to be different and i have had a buch of people ask me where i got my sliders cause they want some.....also by putting them at this angle..when i slide over rocks it usually only runs on one corner of the steel so less surface is toughing rocks....slides way better than my old flat ones i was left over with around 7 ft of steel but have since used it on other projects
got any pics dustin?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by 98XJSETH
got any pics dustin?
no it was on my last xj....new stiffners are sitting in my garage...wanted to get the axles done first. and then the tcaseblew up. i will take pics and post a thread when i throw this set on. should be the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of aug. stay tuned.................
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

no it was on my last xj....new stiffners are sitting in my garage...wanted to get the axles done first. and then the tcaseblew up. i will take pics and post a thread when i throw this set on. should be the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of aug. stay tuned.................
you get the tcase fixed or replaced yet? sorry my friend is such a damn tool
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Registered Users

no not fixed.....its all good on the friend thing. i have a few of those kind too!! i was looking at it today and im pretty sure its the front output bearing. i can move my driveshaft up and down about 1/2 inch. and its leaking too

f-ck it im going to zombiefest with it weather or not i get it fixed!!!!!! just making noise. i drove it today in 4low on the pavement and did a 4wheel smokey and it didnt explode so im just gonna run it how it is!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

hell ya man! you towing it or driving it?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered Users

im driving it...doesnt make noise in 2 wheel. couple of my buddies are towing thier junk and said they would tow me home if needed

Quick Reply: homemade frame stiffeners?