Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

home made long arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default home made long arms?

how hard is it really gonna be to make some, how difficult is it gonna be to get the angles right
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use an angle finder as you fab them, and you can keep the angles in check. I don't think they would be hard at all to make, and plan on building some down the road...maybe this winter.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Just use an angle finder as you fab them, and you can keep the angles in check. I don't think they would be hard at all to make, and plan on building some down the road...maybe this winter.
dont start another project yet!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Do you hear banjos?

WINTER....FOOL!!!

Are you kidding?? I want to get out and wheel already, why would I start another project so soon!!

Don't make me get ugly!!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
how hard is it really gonna be to make some, how difficult is it gonna be to get the angles right
It is not hard and the angles are easy if you make your uppers or lowers adjustable. In other words, put some threads in there and you can adjust the length once you start putting it together. I put mine together, had a death wobble and then added more castor and cured it in just a few minutes. That easy if they are adjustable. The advice to get an angle finder is good. I have one and they are invaluable for curing driveline vibes as well as setting up front castor. If you do much fabing, you will use it again and again.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I'm also looking at building long arms this winter..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

well that settles it then im gonna build em once i get an angle finder hopefully i can put em on this winter before i deploy again
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Clay

The toughest thing about long arms is not the arms, but how you are going to attach them to the frame. You will have to answer some questions first. Are you welding or bolting to the frame? Are you making a removable crossmember, or will you have to take everything loose to drop the tranny or transfer case? Or maybe you want to make a combination pan and cross member. This is the difficult stuff to figure out. Also, what kind of lower link? Y link, three link, four link?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Clay

The toughest thing about long arms is not the arms, but how you are going to attach them to the frame. You will have to answer some questions first. Are you welding or bolting to the frame? Are you making a removable crossmember, or will you have to take everything loose to drop the tranny or transfer case? Or maybe you want to make a combination pan and cross member. This is the difficult stuff to figure out. Also, what kind of lower link? Y link, three link, four link?

i was thinkin about basically copying the rusty's design im not sure about the cross member yet, i saw one set of long arms that the guy just made a c channel that went around the unibody, he didnt use a crossmember i dont think
Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Tying in a X-member will increase structural integrity through out. It will "bridge" the gap, and tie everything together, thus making the whole thing stronger. I will be welding plate to the unirails and attatching the X-member that I fab to that for even more strength. The vehicle was not designed with that in mind, so I assume that it is weak there, and needs to be beefed up to take the forces that will be applied to it.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Tying in a X-member will increase structural integrity through out. It will "bridge" the gap, and tie everything together, thus making the whole thing stronger. I will be welding plate to the unirails and attatching the X-member that I fab to that for even more strength. The vehicle was not designed with that in mind, so I assume that it is weak there, and needs to be beefed up to take the forces that will be applied to it.
yeah im def gonna need some help when i start the project luckily it seems we are all gonna do it this winter
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

yup, like stated the hardest part is the frame mounts. i plated the inside of my frame when i did mine.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I'm looking at doing a 4 link with removable center..

Combo of bolt and welding...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99

just an idea for you, here are my long arm mounts that i just made. I'm doing a 3 link. To do it right (correct separation at frame end) the upper arm needs to go up into the floor area. the radius arm setup like rusty's sells is fine for mild articulation but will put everything in a hard bind when twisted up good.

here is the pic, i still have to make my crossmember and drill 3 holes all the way through the frame and plates to finish tieing it in but you get the idea.

Name:  jeeppics014.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  jeeppics015.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  jeeppics017.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  102.3 KB
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran