Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.
View Poll Results: Would you consider performing a VW TDI swap on your jeep?
Yes, definitely!
31.87%
Yes, but only if it is a bolt-in affair.
38.46%
No thanks, I'm happy with what I have.
29.67%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Gauging interest for a Jeep VW TDI Swap kit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauging interest for a Jeep VW TDI Swap kit...

Hey everyone...(obviously) I'm new here, but I'm just trying to gauge interest in parts to swap a VW TDI into a jeep. I've got a 92 XJ (hence the name) that I will be using to prototype the initial transmission adapter and motor mounts, but would like feedback from other jeepers as to what they are looking for. Obviously, it's a long list for a swap like this, so right now, I'd just like to get an idea of how many people would be interested, and for which models of Jeeps, which transmissions and the engines they would be replacing. I will also be posting on some other sites as well, so if you respond here, please don't respond to the others as well, I'd like to get an honest idea. I figure, there's nothing better than 4 wheeling, except being able to 'wheel more often because you are spending half as much money on fuel!
Thanks,
Sean
Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

i for one would love to do this conversion on my jeep as well. i would keep my aw4 auto tranny and 231 t-case.

i have a 91 xj 4

i want to smell like french fries on the trail.

cant wait to see where you go with this!!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:04 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

half the price for gas, twice the price for VW parts
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.5L I4 TBI

I honestly would keep with what I have for right now and instead put a cummins 3.9 in later.... But right now diesel is the same price as regular unleaded (2.739/gallon) last time i looked at the local chevron... but if regular gas ever went to over 4 dollars again I would do the switch in a heartbeat but make it a biodiesel...

Ive got an 87 4door XJ with 2.5L I4
Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 PM

boyd, the 4bt is a good option, but the vw TDI is about 400lbs lighter. It might not be the same power, but you would probably need to swap the front springs to something stiffer to stop the front end from sagging from all the extra weight. Now, the cummins is a much more simple diesel, and maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I'd rather have the newer diesel. Not to mention, the powerband of the TDI just about matches the 4.0.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

I would love to see a 4bt in a cherokee. To much damn work if you ask me. You can make some pretty good powere with the 4.0 if you build it right.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 AM

Engine: 2.5L I4 TBI

Yea well i dont really go for how much wieght im carryin aslong as what I have in the engine has enough power to make it move
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

i have thought about trying to swap a diesel out of one of the new grand cherokees but that would be way down the road. A diesel cherokee would be sweet though. I have seen videos of a wranglers with cummins turbo diesels and the detriot diesel but never a cherokee.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0HO

Get to work! I'd love to see it at least.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 AM

Ok, so I've been working on acquiring some of the parts needed, and working with my partner in this project, we decided we want to get some input from the other people who are interested, because they may not be as insane as we are. So, let's get some feedback! For those of you who are interested in this conversion, what are you looking for EXACTLY? What model, engine, trans would you want it for?
100% inclusive, including engine?
Complete swap kit without engine?
Just the basics (engine mounts, trans adapter) and you figure out everything else?
Wiring harness included, or just a schematic to wire it yourself?
Complete fuel system, or just instructions?
Would you want a complete intercooler, or figure that out yourself?
What would you be willing to pay for a complete kit sans engine?
What would you be willing to pay for the basic hard parts and instructions for the rest?
What would you be willing to pay for just the components you want?
I know everyone would want to say "I want it free" but let's try to be realistic. Find a TDI in a pull it yourself junkyard and you can get the complete engine for probably well under $1000, so figure on what else you would want.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

I am totally for a diesel swap. I have a 94 ZJ with the 5.2L and it is a gas hog. I am looking for a Cummins 4BT out of an old bread van. Regardless of the price of diesel the mileage will practically double. 35-40 mpg v/s 18 mpg. Simplicity is another reason. The Cummins is fully mechanical as far as fuel delivery goes. I will not need to swap a computer. I can use what I have and trick the sensors. I have not given the transmission much thought though. I may say the hell with mileage and put a big turbo on it and let it eat.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
I am totally for a diesel swap. I have a 94 ZJ with the 5.2L and it is a gas hog. I am looking for a Cummins 4BT out of an old bread van. Regardless of the price of diesel the mileage will practically double. 35-40 mpg v/s 18 mpg. Simplicity is another reason. The Cummins is fully mechanical as far as fuel delivery goes.
I've heard of other people putting the 4BT in trucks, and they get 25-28mpg, with a few cresting 30. I don't know first hand, so I'm not going to say that's definitive, and sound like a pompous jerk. Also, the 99-03 VW TDI can be converted to operate mechanically as well from everything I've been told from VW people, so the simplicity can still be had, albeit I have no clue what that would take. I should look into it, but for the time being, I'll figure out the more difficult swap with the ECU and all, and then if someone wants a fully mechanical setup, they can do the conversion. If I can get the research done, I might even try to include that in a write-up of the instructions if/when this gets off the ground. I know the VW engine doesn't make the torque of a stock turbo 4BT, but as I've said elsewhere (maybe it wasn't this forum), the VW engine is much lighter and can still be made to have plenty of power. As a for-example, the Jeep 4.0 makes 225ft-lb at 4000rpm, and a 1.9L VW TDI can make that same 225ft-lb at about 2200rpm, with just 2 upgrades that would cost about $600-700. That's not counting any gains that might be realized from the jeep exhaust being larger diameter than the VW exhaust...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Model: Wagoneer
Engine: I6 4.0

Definately interested. I have an 83 VW camper vanagon diesel 1.6na and a 2002 jetta mkIV tdi, both with greasecar kits in them. Built a biodiesel rezactor (appleseed type) and am swimmin in the veggie oil. Need 4wd though...and the options for a small 4wd diesel are simple: old gutless mid-80's toyota, izsuzu, or a 2006 jeep liberty ($10,000+ these days). So I just got a xj I6, but man I hate using gasoline and getting only 18 miles per gallon.

Hell, my 3,000 pound hulk of a vanagon gets 30pmg on the 1.6. Gutless as all hell, but geared to climb a mountain with rear wheel drive and good suspension & clearance. If only she had twice the hp and 4wd.

So, I'm up for hearing about a possible xj tdi conversion.

sprockett
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Join here and see what these hardcore vw guys think and also some are very fluent as to these kinda swaps. There is alot of knowledge in their site if you just do a search or two. My old man is a hardcore VW guy so i know it can be done we have already been talking about converting a wrecked 99 limited xj i have to a tdi grease waggy.
http://tdiclub.com/
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 AM

Yeah, I've used tdiclub.com for a lot of research and seen a couple people on there with TDI jeeps, but haven't had much time to find how they did it.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest for a Jeep VW TDI Swap kit...