Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Ditch the hood prop! - Infinity Q45 hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Ditch the hood prop! - Infinity Q45 hood struts - PICS

First off this is hardly "fabrication" but I'm going to put it here anyways. I bought these hood struts from a guy on one of my Nissan forums for almost nothing and originally planned to use them to lift/hold the carbon hood on my 240sx. Once I got them in I realized it would take some creative ingenuity to install them in an orientation that wouldn't split my hood in half; they're just too strong and the localized pressure would be too hard on the hood.

So now what? Put them on the Jeep of course! I've often thought about stealing the XJ's hood prop for the 240, since its so short and could be positioned up by the firewall, but figured I would just grab one next time I'm at the JY; no need now! The install was fairly painless but I still need to add some backing plates. Bottom line is that they work, work well, and don't require a whole lot to install them. On with the pictures!!!

Last edited by s14unimog; 05-25-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Just That Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would consider it fab, and a very smart / clean one at that. Nice job
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 5.7 Hemi

Good idea! Me likey!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Looks good! I like the idea of using two struts. I actually did something similar a while back, but I used on lift gate strut off of a ZJ.

Just copied this over from my build to show how I did it.

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
Here they are hope it helps out some.

Here is an over all pic.

The bottom was a torx head bolt that I just threaded into the fender being that it was able to rotate inside the rod end.

This was the rod end from the top. You can see how the bolt would move inside the end.

I actually pounded this out so I could but a regular bolt through it for the hood bracket support.

This is the bolt for the top end of the support.

Here's the other side. I used a nylock nut to make sure it didn't go anywhere.

Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 05-25-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Very cool and clean at that. I likes it. I wants it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
Looks good! I like the idea of using two struts. I actually did something similar a while back, but I used on lift gate strut off of a ZJ.
would it hold the hood up? A single strut wouldn't hold my hood up but these are used and the angle of mine is slightly shallower.

Originally Posted by M4RK
Very cool and clean at that. I likes it. I wants it.
thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by s14unimog
would it hold the hood up? A single strut wouldn't hold my hood up but these are used and the angle of mine is slightly shallower.

thanks!
Yup it actually shoots up pretty quick and it would open by itself if the catch wasn't there. I think mine may be a little bigger cylinder which could be why only one works.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Likely. I'm stoked with how mine opens up. It wouldn't pop up completely if the latch was absent and you just pulled the release but it's basically assisted until the half way point, then it rises on its own. I'm lovin it
Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Engine: 4.0L

First off this is hardly "fabrication" but I'm going to put it here anyways. I bought these hood struts from a guy on one of my Nissan forums for almost nothing and originally planned to use them to lift/hold the carbon hood on my 240sx... On with the pictures!!!

Time for me to go looking! VERY NICE really diggin it...
could you give measurements of where the bracket holes are? and did the brackets come with the struts? (how far down the side wall, how far back from Rad support, how far forward of firewall?)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks! When you located a Q45, remove the brackets, studs, and hardware. Fortunately the studs will mount easily with an M10 (I believe) nut on the hinge its self. As for the dimensions, I'll have to get back with you on that. I raised the hood as hight as I could, bolted the stud end to the hood and just let the extended strut tell me where to put them. If you'll notice, I had to slightly modify the washer tank spout. It has a keying mechanism that you'll need to cut off so you can spin it upside down. As for the height down, I just made sure the strut body was under the level of the cushion the hood sits on when closed.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

when you fill the washer fluid tank do you just spin it around or are you planning on extending the filler spout?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Once the hood is open I can spin it around. they'll interfere if I leave it up while closing the hood.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:38 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Thanks! When you located a Q45, remove the brackets, studs, and hardware. Fortunately the studs will mount easily with an M10 (I believe) nut on the hinge its self. As for the dimensions, I'll have to get back with you on that. I raised the hood as hight as I could, bolted the stud end to the hood and just let the extended strut tell me where to put them. If you'll notice, I had to slightly modify the washer tank spout. It has a keying mechanism that you'll need to cut off so you can spin it upside down. As for the height down, I just made sure the strut body was under the level of the cushion the hood sits on when closed.
That makes perfect sense, I would have probably gotten to that myself if you never posted back, so no need for measurements, I'll do the same. thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

nice, i love the hood struts

i wonder how much i can find those for around here.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ChileRedBateman
That makes perfect sense, I would have probably gotten to that myself if you never posted back, so no need for measurements, I'll do the same. thanks!
yeah, they seemed to only want to go in that way. I'm just glad they had enough push to hold the hood up without some higher bracket on the hood.

Originally Posted by N20jeep
nice, i love the hood struts
i wonder how much i can find those for around here.
Find the car and see what they say at the JY. I guarantee they will not have been picked already.

Quick Reply: Ditch the hood prop! - Infinity Q45 hood struts