Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Bedliner on the roof *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bedliner on the roof *PICS*

So I had some rust on my roof along with a few holes that was letting water seep in when it rained hard; which here in the Caribbean is ALL the time. So I wanted to make this thread for people that were thinking of spraying bedliner on their roof. I used the UPOL Raptor bedliner kit. Comes with 4 bottles of liner, 1 can of hardner, and a spray gun. Overall the application of the liner material was A LOT easier than expected. I only did one coat, because afterwards it looked pretty solid. I used 2 bottles to do the whole roof. I’m going to use the other two for the inside cargo area, wheel wells, and rear bumper; which I’ll make a thread once that’s done next month after vacation. Anyway, here we go.

I first started by taping off the rusted areas and chipped away any loose metal. Then painted osfo to kill the rust.

Then I filled in all the large holes with expanding foam.

I decided to paint the racks and windshield wipers since they were sun faded and touch up parts of the bumper. So masked everything and sprayed.

I cut the foam a little less than flush, applied bondo, then sanded everything smooth (well kinda, I really didn’t need it perfect since the liner is textured).

Then cleaned everything up and washed it really really good.

Then spot primed with regular auto primer.

Then I taped everything up. Then hit the whole top with self etching primer (I forgot the camera during this part, sorry) Then hit the whole top with the bedliner. I went right over the strips in the middle with primer and liner and seems to be holding up just fine.

Overall everything turned out great. The only thing you need to watch out for is that there is a small hole at the top of the gun where the bottle screws into for pressure relief. If the bottle is full and you tilt the gun, the liner material will spill out. I had a couple drops spill on my window and on the roof. Just make sure you have some mineral spirits and a rag handy. It wiped right off while it’s wet. Remember to take all the masking tape off while its wet too. I let it cure for 12 hours indoors so dirt wouldn’t settle on it and I was scared it would rain. Then I brought it out in the direct sun. Then put everything back together and it’s golden..

Detail shots...

Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

fish eye, lol. it looks nice, but wont it heat up alot in the sun?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by jeep bandit
fish eye, lol. it looks nice, but wont it heat up alot in the sun?
Doesn't the bed of a truck do the same in sunlight? Are you worried about fading or peeling? Or just heating up the interior?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM

yeah fish eye, it's a gopro the only lens it has. I always ride with the windows down unless it's raining, but then it's cloudy so I don't notice any extra interior heating...

I've slid ply wood and pvc pipes and all kinds of sht across it for the past 2 months and it doesnt show any kind of phasing what so ever.

I usually have my arm out the window and hold onto the gutter. It's always cool to the touch even in the middle of the day; the window seals however get blazing hot. Just get the right kind of stuff and it will last you. UPOL Raptor liner... not that rattle can crap.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Volcomroofus
yeah fish eye, it's a gopro the only lens it has. I always ride with the windows down unless it's raining, but then it's cloudy so I don't notice any extra interior heating...

I've slid ply wood and pvc pipes and all kinds of sht across it for the past 2 months and it doesnt show any kind of phasing what so ever.

I usually have my arm out the window and hold onto the gutter. It's always cool to the touch even in the middle of the day; the window seals however get blazing hot. Just get the right kind of stuff and it will last you. UPOL Raptor liner... not that rattle can crap.
Sounds good. Thanks for the information because I need to do the same to mine due to rust forming underneath the paint causing it to bubble and flake. I think they did something wrong from the factory with the paint that caused the rust.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

looks god man great job
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM

chrysler paint is well.... I'll let you be the judge lol

I might just line the whole truck lol.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Lol the only spots that are bad are the roof and the hood. Pretty much whatever gets direct sunlight.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM

speaking of direct sunlight.. Know any good car covers that are the cloth material? I bought a cheapo one around 100 bucks and when I got home it was like a paper towel material lol. The sun ate it up in a couple weeks. It said outdoor but I'm assuming it was meant for in a garage or storage. I need something heavier and more durable. I don't wanna buy the ones for 500 though in quadratec..
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

speaking of direct sunlight.. Know any good car covers that are the cloth material? I bought a cheapo one around 100 bucks and when I got home it was like a paper towel material lol. The sun ate it up in a couple weeks. It said outdoor but I'm assuming it was meant for in a garage or storage. I need something heavier and more durable. I don't wanna buy the ones for 500 though in quadratec..
Try checking out places like summit racing or jegs
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 1999 4.0 HO

Looks good. I like it. Do yu know if that brand has different colors of liner ?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Capt_Gruuvy
Looks good. I like it. Do yu know if that brand has different colors of liner ?
They have a tintable package that you can make any color you want..
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 1999 4.0 HO

They have a tintable package that you can make any color you want..

Cool.

I have seen custom bedliner projects on the rocker panels and such. Makes sense as the Jippy takes a beating with rocks and whatever. It may be a good idea to look at that solution for the lower portion of the body in a matching pattern sort of thing.

Thanks for the post. Good idea. Good Solution. Excellent Execution.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 AM

Year: 2001

Looks great...good idea!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6 242

Bro that is freaking sick. I have the exact same rust holes in my rear corners and around the rain gutter. I am going to do this and it will prevent hail damage here in Oklahoma, plus it just looks awesome.

Quick Reply: Bedliner on the roof *PICS*