Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Any engineers??? Internal stowed cherokee lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 stock
Default Any engineers??? Internal stowed cherokee lift

I was doodling in class thinking about my baby... I was thinking how cool it would be to have the ability to lift heavy objects in and out of the Cherokee without a crane or multiple people...

Anywho my doodle is something like what is attached... the idea is to have a cargo area that basically lifts itself out and sets it down on the ground then stows back in to be a normal storage area.

I would figure 2 actuating arms one on each side. The triangle is just the support bars and the bottom is the pan or "floor" that would lift out. I would think a weight capacity of 150 or 200lbs... maybe more? I don't know the motor style either whether hydraulic, electric screw type, winch, other? Is this concept sound?
Attached Thumbnails Any engineers???  Internal stowed cherokee lift-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

I would say it would be possible. Anything is possible if you have the time and money. Something to fold out and fit into the back of a Jeep and be strong enough to lift any amount of weight would require some pretty intense knowledge of physics (moments, stresses, etc) because it would be very bad to have a 200lb load suspended in half way and have it fall on someone. The mechanism required to support such a load and fold into the back , I imagine, would be pretty complex.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

the materials its made out of as well has the mounting system of how you attach it to the cherokee. I know for a fact four bolts wouldnt hold a 200lb load if attached to the sheetmetal...
Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
the materials its made out of as well has the mounting system of how you attach it to the cherokee. I know for a fact four bolts wouldnt hold a 200lb load if attached to the sheetmetal...
no it would have to be mounted to the frame rails. Think roll cage.

I'm thinking about just building a small scale prototype out of wire or something. Just for proof of concept.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by razor02097
no it would have to be mounted to the frame rails. Think roll cage.

I'm thinking about just building a small scale prototype out of wire or something. Just for proof of concept.
Ya thats what i was getting at. Wasnt thinkin right. Thats what i get for getting up at 2:45am haha.

I think that would be a fun and challenging project. I would even try a half scale with actual materials you'd build the main thing out, that way you know almost exactly what you need.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there really that many times when you need to remove large loads of that mass, to warrant something like that?

Its a "neat" idea, but you'd also be adding quite a bit more weight for the frame, hydraulics, and whatever else is needed for the operation.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000

It looks like in your picture that some of the links are changing length. Yes, build a model out of wire, popsicle sticks,... It may be better to have a telescoping beam hanging from the roll cage that locks in place with a winch to lift the load.

BS & MS Mech Eng.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by goalieman24
Are there really that many times when you need to remove large loads of that mass, to warrant something like that?

Its a "neat" idea, but you'd also be adding quite a bit more weight for the frame, hydraulics, and whatever else is needed for the operation.
Why yes. My project jeep includes that of constantly hauling around support equipment. Such as welders and tool boxes. Save a back and let a machine do the lifting

Originally Posted by notop46
It looks like in your picture that some of the links are changing length. Yes, build a model out of wire, popsicle sticks,... It may be better to have a telescoping beam hanging from the roll cage that locks in place with a winch to lift the load.

BS & MS Mech Eng.
Heh its just a doodle in mspaint... don't be so critical lol
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 AM

I think it is a great idea... You just got to remember that if your picking up something around 200lbs your actually going to put more stress on those bolts because of the angle of the dangle. instead of hydraulics, I use them alot and they are kinda messy, maybe you can find some electric Actuator. just something to think about cause it would be easier and wouldn't require as much as hydraulics
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You have really interesting idea but I would think that if you were moving heavy items often enough to need something like this in your XJ, it would probably be more cost effective to just buy a beater truck with a lift gate. Not trying to be an ***, it just seems that when you figure in your time and labor to design and build it plus materials, it's going to be a super expensive project.