Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Alternator

Alright, we all know the best place for a alternator, is of course, the bottom of the engine!

Mine went out the other day after some muddin, and I thought, wtf jeep? After several hours of research I found out it's not water that kills them, but mud. Furthermore, there is none that are really waterproof, and nothing really to seal them up.

So, I figured I would share what I did to mine.

You can't exactly silicone them up, they will burn up due to heat. And since it is not water that kills them, you don't really need it waterproof. You can either use a cheesecloth type fabric, or some metal screen. Metal screen works a little better since you can bend it and it will kinda form around your alternator. Either which one you use, they will HELP help keep the mud out. Again, it just helps, but the little holes in the screen are much smaller than the slits in the alternator case. Fasten them with hose clamps.

A real loose knit fabric like cheese cloth would be the most ideal, but metal screen is more practical. You might even try a crown royal bag with holes cut into it! Give this a thought or two and let me know what you guys think!