Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

adding car seat hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default adding car seat hooks

hey everyone i'm looking to add car seat hooks to my center seat so i can put my kids car seat in.. i know i can use the center seat belt and pull it tight but it doesnt stay as secure as i would like.. it doesn't go back and forth but it still moves side to side.. so what my question is if any has installed these hooks or has any ideas of what i could do. i'm thinking i cud bend a similar hook/latch thing and hold it down with the bolts that hold the belts.. another forum would just make my life easier but either way i will post what i do in the end so anyone else trying to do the same can follow.. keeping my kid safe is my main priority.thanks

These are what i'm talking about.. anyone with a newer car knows what i'm talking abput they have stock..

Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 AM

i haul my little guy around in the jeep too...let me know what you come up with.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Ok so I got these D rings and mounts and self tapping screws at Home Depot. They were a kit. Mounted one directly behind the car seat in the cargo area. That way I can use the strap that comes over the top of the seat. As for your seat moving side to side, use your knee in the car seat when you tighten the belt. My little navigators seat doesn't budge.

adding car seat hooks-image-3078097344.jpg

adding car seat hooks-image-2651019885.jpg
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeOutlaw
Ok so I got these D rings and mounts and self tapping screws at Home Depot. They were a kit. Mounted one directly behind the car seat in the cargo area. That way I can use the strap that comes over the top of the seat. As for your seat moving side to side, use your knee in the car seat when you tighten the belt. My little navigators seat doesn't budge.

Attachment 175293

Attachment 175294

Mines different.. mine hooks on the sides and uses the seat belt thru the base. it doesn't have the strap like yours does.. mines for a baby, not a toddler.. its the one where they sit backwards.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ607

Mines different.. mine hooks on the sides and uses the seat belt thru the base. it doesn't have the strap like yours does.. mines for a baby, not a toddler.. its the one where they sit backwards.
Ah. Well you could maybe do the same idea but just fold the bottom seat up and add two of the D-rings under the seat on the floor. Then close it down and run the straps between the bottom and upper seat. It would be just like using stock car seat hooks but they'd just be a bit deeper in and mounted to the floor board.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeOutlaw
Ah. Well you could maybe do the same idea but just fold the bottom seat up and add two of the D-rings under the seat on the floor. Then close it down and run the straps between the bottom and upper seat. It would be just like using stock car seat hooks but they'd just be a bit deeper in and mounted to the floor board.
yea deffinatly a good start i'm gonna use tthe same style
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Wait, you just popped a self tapper thru the sheetmetal there?

That's gonna rip right off if you get into an accident.

I'd at least make some kind of bracket pair that'll sandwich the floor from the bottom under side and inside the cab. Then bolt a d ring to that.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Pretty sure the dealership has to add these for free. Some safety law or something like that.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
Pretty sure the dealership has to add these for free. Some safety law or something like that.

oo hell yea i'll deffinatly look into that.. good looks..same me some money and time..
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Wait, you just popped a self tapper thru the sheetmetal there?

That's gonna rip right off if you get into an accident.

I'd at least make some kind of bracket pair that'll sandwich the floor from the bottom under side and inside the cab. Then bolt a d ring to that.
Gee is right, self tappers thru 18ga is dumb.

I've got three rug pilots, and have used the seat belt method for the bases as well as the hook type in our minivan. If you can't get the seat belt tight enough (use your knee and yank HARD), how will you get the hook type tight enough since its basically the same as tightening the lap belt in a cherokee?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 AM

Youd have two supports instead of one.. and it makes a difference.. just help me solve my question not ask why I cant get the bwlt tight enough. Which its plenty tight
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by XJ607
Youd have two supports instead of one.. and it makes a difference.. just help me solve my question not ask why I cant get the bwlt tight enough. Which its plenty tight
I'll vouch for this. The big issue I had with my sons car seat when he was a baby was it moving side to side also. I'm 250lbs and with all my weight and muscle behind it I couldn't get it tight enough to not move side to side but it is tight front to back. The toddler seat I have for him now doesn't move at all but the one we had before where the baby carrier locked in to the seat was an absolute pain in the butt to safely secure.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 AM

I just put all my weight on the seat as I tighten the seat belt. Doesnt move at all for me..
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by sethyyy
I just put all my weight on the seat as I tighten the seat belt. Doesnt move at all for me..
Is yours a full size seat or a detachable one with a baby carrier?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by hankthetank

Gee is right, self tappers thru 18ga is dumb.

I've got three rug pilots, and have used the seat belt method for the bases as well as the hook type in our minivan. If you can't get the seat belt tight enough (use your knee and yank HARD), how will you get the hook type tight enough since its basically the same as tightening the lap belt in a cherokee?
That's not for a safety feature. It's just to keep him more stationary. The instructions even say if there's no hook then just ignore the strap. If you're so worried about it ripping out, backplate it and use brace 8 bolts.

Quick Reply: adding car seat hooks