Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

98 XJ Tube doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 XJ Tube doors

Does anyone sell or know of a good place to buy tube doors for my 98 XJ? I'm looking for front doors and maybe rear doors....if you know of any place to get some doors please let me know

Thanks,
BV
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

JCR Offroad makes a nice set of tube doors
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=XJArmor
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Engine: 4.6L Stroker

quadratec.com sells some really nice tube doors

go to the website and get your free catalog of cherokee essentials !

those doors are pricey, search on this forum, theres lots of builds to guide you if you wanna go that route
Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Ill be building some for my pile this summer. Stay tuned.....
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Warrior Products makes a pretty badass lookin set, and Quadratec sells them.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM

The only bad side of buying tube doors is the price. Some companies want $300 just for the front doors!! If you're not wanting to keep your factory doors just cut them up into a set of half doors like this guy did
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/fi...-doors1-41769/
Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Year: 1994
Default Tube doors

Awhile back I broke a hinge and had to take the door off to fix it, so I made the doors removeable. Then I got to thinking that some tube doors would be nice, but there's no way I want to spend 300 bucks or so on some.

After reading some write ups on making tube doors from early 90's s10 blazer spare tire carriers, I went to the JY in search of some. I didn't find any, but did find some from late 90's s10's. After some quick measurements, I decided they should work and bought them. I reused the handles and latches from the tire carriers. The only things I bought extra were the angle for the hinge and some 1/4 inch steel rod for the hinge pins.

Here's a few pics of what I came up with. This was my first welding project and I think they turned out ok. Since these pics, I have added a mirrir to the driver's side, and have connected the handles to the latches so they open and close the way I want them to.

I hope these give some of you ideas for making your own.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 AM

Engine: 4.0L

thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by Captain Ruggy
Awhile back I broke a hinge and had to take the door off to fix it, so I made the doors removeable. Then I got to thinking that some tube doors would be nice, but there's no way I want to spend 300 bucks or so on some.

After reading some write ups on making tube doors from early 90's s10 blazer spare tire carriers, I went to the JY in search of some. I didn't find any, but did find some from late 90's s10's. After some quick measurements, I decided they should work and bought them. I reused the handles and latches from the tire carriers. The only things I bought extra were the angle for the hinge and some 1/4 inch steel rod for the hinge pins.

Here's a few pics of what I came up with. This was my first welding project and I think they turned out ok. Since these pics, I have added a mirrir to the driver's side, and have connected the handles to the latches so they open and close the way I want them to.

I hope these give some of you ideas for making your own.
Nice lookin doors man. How does the handle work?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by offroadnut36
Nice lookin doors man. How does the handle work?

The handle is now connected to the latch with a aluminum rod. When you push forward on the handle it pulls the latch and opens the door. It works really well, I just didn't have the rod yet when I took the pics.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Unless your state has a law about not having some sort of doors I don't really see the point in having tube doors. They don't offer any real protection to the people inside. I know in Florida they don't care if you have doors or not, just make sure you have a seat belt on(as you should anyways).
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 91XJMudMan
Unless your state has a law about not having some sort of doors I don't really see the point in having tube doors. They don't offer any real protection to the people inside. I know in Florida they don't care if you have doors or not, just make sure you have a seat belt on(as you should anyways).
When my doors come off, tube doors are going on. I think they offer plenty of protection. For example, there's a lot of videos of people rolling their doorless Wranglers and putting their leg out the door like it's gonna stop them. It's just natural reaction when you're about to tip over, but the tube door will keep you from using your leg as a kickstand. Also, taking a fast turn you could fly out the door, even with a seatbelt. The tube doors could help prevent that from happening. Again, this is less than likely, but still a good precautionary measure. I'd rather have em and not need em, then need em and not have em. Plus they look cool
Old 04-01-2010, 10:30 PM

I would go as far as saying I think these tube doors would offer quite a bit of protection in an accident. After all an xj door is literally 2 sheets of sheetmetal spaced a few inches apart. The tube doors I made are probably a good 35 pounds each. They are quite stout. I would imagine a round tube to be at least as strong as a couple sheets of sheetmetal.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Well you got me on the rollover thing, I've never experienced that lol And flying out during a turn just wont happen in my jeep because I have race seats with 5-point harnesses in the front, and I modded my factory back seat to accept 5-point harnesses aslo
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by 91XJMudMan
I feel you have a lot more range of motion and visability while wheeling with the factory doors off. The tube doors should give you the protection you need and it will feel great using them!!

Quick Reply: 98 XJ Tube doors