Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 MPI
Default 01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs

Doing the Cut-Outs this weekend. I am going over the instructions and there is nothing showing how to properly trim the bumper end caps on the 01 model. As you know the bumpers end caps extend around the side of the body and meet the factory flares.
Does anyone have experience with this? Better yet, does anyone have, or know of a websight that has detailed instructions? I have seen them with the end caps taken off, but i would like to cut them if possible to maintain a clean look till i can get some after market bumpers..
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs-imag0058.jpg   01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs-imag0059.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

it didn't tell you? Are you getting flat or cutout?

Here are instructions for the cutout flares.
http://bushwacker.com/Instructions/10922_r0.pdf
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have trimmed a few rigs before. From K5 to Jeeps. Every time I have just paid very close attention to where the tires are rubbing while flexing or at full turn. Then i go in with what ever tool is handy and make small cuts where needed until i get it right. Better to make small cuts and need more than take to much and need more back. HTH
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by razor02097

Yup right on Page 6...
I'm putting on rear TJ flares all around in a couple weeks, and will have to trim off the raised section shown a well...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by razor02097

I'm installing Cut-Out's. I've seen this one, it is for the Flat Style. It is good info, but doesn't help me because the measurments are different. I am hoping for info on the Cut-out style specifically.. I think i may just have to wing it. Gonna call Bushwacker today. Maybe they can fax me a copy if they have it.

Last edited by Codyxj; 06-02-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by tlang
I have trimmed a few rigs before. From K5 to Jeeps. Every time I have just paid very close attention to where the tires are rubbing while flexing or at full turn. Then i go in with what ever tool is handy and make small cuts where needed until i get it right. Better to make small cuts and need more than take to much and need more back. HTH
Thanks man, but I have Bushwacker flares that are supposed to eliminate the guess work.. I'm not rubbing with the 31's I have on it (except on the lower control arm).
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Codyxj
Thanks man, but I have Bushwacker flares that are supposed to eliminate the guess work.. I'm not rubbing with the 31's I have on it (except on the lower control arm).
are you on stock height w/ 31s?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Ive done pretty much what you are doing. I had bushwackers with stock end caps for the longest time. You really have no idea of where to cut the fender to mount them. ITs just trial and error. Pretty mush the easyiest way is to put the fender up to the jeep, mark the holes for the screws, pull it back off. Measure the backside of the bushwacker from the bolt hole down to the lip of the fender. Then mark the distance all the way around the fender. As for cutting the end caps, I cant tell you how many days I spent on those dam things. You pretty much just end up cutting the stock piece off them. I may even have all 4 of my bumper end pieces and there black. More then welcome to buy them in like. You can hit me up with any more questions if you have any!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

I also ended up cutting out the inside lip of the bushwackers as I dident like that they collected mud and all sorts of crap. Plus that was 3" of up travel you dident have because of them. Running 35's and a 5.5" lift I was in the fender all the time rubbing and finaly ripped it off. So I desided to cut the inside lip out and make them into a pocket style flair and I love them. The tire now tucks up into the fender, and they also are a little flimzy so if I hit them they wont break. I then trimmed the body all the way up to .5" below the mouting screws. So I wont ever hit my body. Then i glued trim onto the edge so it wasent sharp. Heres a few pics of what I did.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Codyxj
Doing the Cut-Outs this weekend. I am going over the instructions and there is nothing showing how to properly trim the bumper end caps on the 01 model. As you know the bumpers end caps extend around the side of the body and meet the factory flares.
Does anyone have experience with this? Better yet, does anyone have, or know of a websight that has detailed instructions? I have seen them with the end caps taken off, but i would like to cut them if possible to maintain a clean look till i can get some after market bumpers..
Thanks
Mine is a bit different cause I maintained my stock flares but I did cut the bumper wraps on the front, comp cut the rear so no help there, but here's a decent look.
Attached Thumbnails 01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs-xj-front.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

I cut the wraps off at the spot where they come out to meat the flare. Also cut off the front air dam for a bit more approach angle, plus I think it looks better.
Attached Thumbnails 01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs-xj2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Slugger
are you on stock height w/ 31s?
Yes.. DON'T LAUGH. It looks a bit weird, but I had to get tired and the flares are a huge box is don't want to have to move. So I am installing the flares and on gonna look like a complete gubber for a few months while I save for the rc 4.5.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by mickey_00xj
I cut the wraps off at the spot where they come out to meat the flare. Also cut off the front air dam for a bit more approach angle, plus I think it looks better.
Very cool looking. I like the clean look of the stock flares.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepfreak1020
I also ended up cutting out the inside lip of the bushwackers as I dident like that they collected mud and all sorts of crap. Plus that was 3" of up travel you dident have because of them. Running 35's and a 5.5" lift I was in the fender all the time rubbing and finaly ripped it off. So I desided to cut the inside lip out and make them into a pocket style flair and I love them. The tire now tucks up into the fender, and they also are a little flimzy so if I hit them they wont break. I then trimmed the body all the way up to .5" below the mouting screws. So I wont ever hit my body. Then i glued trim onto the edge so it wasent sharp. Heres a few pics of what I did.

Those are the pocket style? Looks sharp. I cut the lip out too. I got half of it done today. I ended up cutting the metal into tabs and hammering it under instead of removing it. It works great.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Engine: 4.0

I had to do some trimming once I installed my lift, and I just cut the bumper with a cutting wheel, following the line of the fender. You can see how it looks in my pics, though I've yet to install the BW flares, just kept the stock ones on there. I used a sanding wheel in a drill to get rid of any burs and smoothed it fairly nicely. It's sufficient until I get my replacement fenders as well.

Quick Reply: 01 front and rear bumper trimming for BW Cut-Outs