Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Whining noise when accelerating - '05 Ram 3.7l

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default Whining noise when accelerating - '05 Ram 3.7l

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7l V6 rwd with approx. ~160,000 miles

My truck has starting making a "whining" noise whenever I am accelerating. The pitch and volume change the faster I go and I first notice it around 20 mph. It kind of sounds like a supercharger. The noise reverberates through the cab so I've had trouble telling whether the sound originates from the front end or rear.

I checked the serpentine belt first but that looked good. I put some WD-40 on the belt but that made no difference. Then I took the belt off and turned all of the pulleys by hand but they all checked out. After that I decided to look in the rear end and noticed my differential fluid had gotten very low. Oddly I couldn't find any source of the leak. I cleaned the differential and put new fluid in it but that had no effect on the whining sound.

I'm stumped. So far the noise has not affected performance whatsoever, it is just annoying. Does anyone have any ideas? Any 3.7 experts on CF?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

42RLE?
Check the fluid level & condition the pump could be failing.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

does the pitch rise and fall with rpm or road speed? if road speed check driveline, if rpm check engine/trans. rear dif fluid being low is suspect. if it ran low for awhile the damage may be done already.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
42RLE?
Check the fluid level & condition the pump could be failing.
Correct. The fluid looks good.

Originally Posted by s346k
does the pitch rise and fall with rpm or road speed? if road speed check driveline, if rpm check engine/trans. rear dif fluid being low is suspect. if it ran low for awhile the damage may be done already.
The pitch changes with road speed. I'll take a look at the driveline. I was concerned about the diff too. When I cleaned it out I didn't notice any wear, thankfully. But I'm still new to all of this so I easily could have missed it.

Whining noise when accelerating - '05 Ram 3.7l-img_20170413_171121.jpg