Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

What do you guys think of 4Runner's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 OHV
Default What do you guys think of 4Runner's?

I've only had my Cherokee since November and I love it (The only Chrysler in my opinion that was ever built correctly since the 80's) but lately something about the third gen 4Runner has me almost regretting my purchase. Toyota is my least favorite auto manufacturer tied with Hyundai for personal reasons and I hate buying foreign cars even if their used because it upsets me to see in america over 65% cars on the road foreign even if their fuel efficient and reliable etc... But there is just something to me about that suv and the tacoma.. Obviously there is going to be biased opinions but i've been doing research and anyone who test drove both or had a cherokee and switched has not looked back due to the better fit and finish or space or reliability (Not overall but the little things) of the 4Runner. So please share your oppinion and tell me your oppinons thanks, Rob p.s. I dont do any hard core wheeling just some fun days on the dirt and the HEAVY New York snow but of course when i get my first 4wd(first car in general-16 yrs old) theres a total of 6" inches for the season -_- and heres a wikipedia article about the 4Runner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Well, Quick Facts. The Toyota Camry is built In Lafayette, Indiana, at SIA. The Camry is more American than any other care built.
Now that we cleared that.

A vehicle is a vehicle, they all pretty much do the same. I personally like the Jeeps over any other suvs, (Nitros are pretty sharp)

Even with the Cherokee being uniPOS I would still say that until recently, has any foreign company picked up there game.

IMO you would be better of with a Chevy... I mean Cherokee.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Year: 1994

This thread has me interested. I would like to know what every one says. I am currently in the process of trading my 86 Comanche for a 94 4runner. I will keep my 90 and 94 Cherokees, so the Comanche is like an extra. The comments on this thread my change my mind.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tylerball72
Well, Quick Facts. The Toyota Camry is built In Lafayette, Indiana, at SIA. The Camry is more American than any other care built.
Now that we cleared that.

A vehicle is a vehicle, they all pretty much do the same. I personally like the Jeeps over any other suvs, (Nitros are pretty sharp)

Even with the Cherokee being uniPOS I would still say that until recently, has any foreign company picked up there game.

IMO you would be better of with a Chevy... I mean Cherokee.
On the note of american cars, its all about where the profits end up so we dont have to give another bailout...even if half the cars are pos's. I do think that alot(most) current american cars are of equal or better value then their foreign counter parts, american car makers are still suffering from the mistakes 10 or 20 years ago because most people are too scared to try a american car and want to play it safe with there investment(which is smart) its just sad to me...but on another note GM is my favorite manufacturer lol. I prefer body on frame but i really dont care if its just a daily, if ill actually be abusing the truck then BOF is the way to go for me. Im just not really a Chrysler person other than the Cherokee...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Year: 1997

True, for legal reasons, When you are in the SIA plant in Lafayette, you are technically in japan.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tylerball72
True, for legal reasons, When you are in the SIA plant in Lafayette, you are technically in japan.
Yup, plus this really only goes for new cars but, even if foreign cars are built here, and an american car is built in mexico, just because the assemblers arent us workers, there is no american worker profit? there is a whole infrastructure behind it as in designers, testers etc.... all that goes back to the U.S. and honestly im fine with it being built in canada(i consider it almost the usa) and even mexico... as long as its not indonesia or china where 12 year old kids are building them. Im even fine with most of europe...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl

there are several 4Runners in my Jeep club and their owners absolutely adore them. Much, much cheaper to build than a Jeep and just as capable. I don't give 2 craps about the foreign-vs.-domestic BS. I don't think Mr Yakimoto is gonna have an extra shot of Saki every time I buy a 15 year old SUV.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

I really like the first and second gen ones. Wanted one since I was a kid, but I'm too big for them now and they're insanely hard to find around here without a ton of rust.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Well, if i ever sell my jeep in general and move to an area with no snow which will probably happen because long Island is way to populated and with taxes were i am 20k+ when i move out ill never be able to afford it... Ill probably get like a boring sedan with a V6 like a charger, or a impala then get like a Gixxer 750 for nice days. The only reason why i got an SUV was for the snow as a gallon of regular where i am is over 4$ i need a car with like city mpg over 25... I just hope an impala or something can tow a dirtbike haha just some thoughts...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Realistically whether your car is made by an american company or not is irrelevant if you are buying a used car. None of the money you spend is going to anyone but the previous owner. Just buy whatever one is best for you in the long run based on looks, reliability, and capability.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

my dad has a 2000 4 runner which i drove for about 8 months before getting my jeep and i like it. i wouldn't know the off road capabilities because thats not what he uses it for but does do well in the new york snow and not driven like a madman gets about 17 mpg all around. it has 126,000 on it and he plans on keeping it till it dies. overall i like it its a good car
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

4Runners are my favorite after XJs. Only solid axle ones though, pre 87ish?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I've always been a fan of them. Don't think I would buy one for offroad use, unless I had a ton of money to do a SAS swap. Although i'd probably buy a Tacoma and do a SAS swap, before a 4Runner. Always loved the ability to roll down the rear window. Not sure why only Toyota does that, it's a great idea!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM

My best friend and wheelin buddy is a DIE HARD YOTA FAN. He has had like 3 or 4 runners and a Taco. I like them just fine but i definatly like my Cherokee more. Someone said that the Yotas are cheaper to build and that is true in SOME cases but if your looking to do it right they really arent. On the other hand, those 4runners will go ANYWHERE you point them right out of the box. Its a toss up for me but like i said, i love my jeep!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

I would trade my jeep right now for an 85 4runner. Last year of the solid front axles and first year of the fuel injected 22re. Great axles and a tough lil motor.

I tried to find a 83-85 4runner or toyota pick-up before i baught this xj i have but everyone wanted 3-5 grand. Got the jeep for 1k instead.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of 4Runner's?