Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Stupid plastic vacuum lines

Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.
Default Stupid plastic vacuum lines

I was busy putting the top end of the Trans Am's engine back together this weekend when I snapped 2 of my vacuum lines, I had already snapped the one going to the EGR, when taking it off, then I snapped the one going to the Fuel pressure regulator.

I had initially just patched them with some rubber hose, but I think it looks crappy and its just a temporary fix.

SO, I decided to replace the plastic tube with a metal hard line. I measured the tube, and the OD was about 3/16, a little smaller

I had initially thought of copper tube, but after looking around it was pretty expensive, I went to Pepboys and they just had 1/4, which was way to big, so I went to ask if they had rolls of bulk tube, when I saw it, Brake line. DOH

why hadnt I thought of that before.

So I bought a 50" length of 3/16" brake line bent the shapes I needed, and cut to length, and I the rubber 90 degree elbows off the plastic lines, and put them on the new metal lines.

Looks great, and no more being worried about snapping those stupid plastic vacuum lines.

The only plastic one left is the one that supplies the HVAC, but that one runs inside a wire loom, firewall and I didnt want to mess with that