Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Lincoln Towncar Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 v6
Default Lincoln Towncar Leaking

My mom has owned 2 Lincoln Towncars, not sure the year,but less I would guess they both were like 5-10 years old and the backseat floorboard floods after rain. This has happened in both cars and we cannot figure out how the water gets in. It does happen when we get a heavy rain, but it doesn't leak in if car is just sitting, I think she said the water usually shows up after driving it some. I have also talked to someone else that had same problem.

Any one familiar with this problem and have any suggestions on how to fix it?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 high output

best thing to do is to look at your door seals and check your drainage points along the rear drip rail. when i worked at ford i have seen this problem a few times. take a garden hose with some soap and soak the roof/door area. (i used to have to sit in the car with a flashlight) and look for any water getting in near the top part of the door seal. usually new seals fixed the problem. also look in your trunk and make sure there is no water there either. some cars had rubber plugs in the floor that come out and let water in while driving.

hope this helps somewhat.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Sorry if I sound stupid, but where would I look for those plugs? I don't thinks it's the door seal, but it def wont hurt to check it out.

My mom says that it usually doesn't get in when it's rainging, it seems like she sees the water like the next day or something. It almost seems like the water is getting in somewhere sitting and then when she drives it's shifting to end up in back floor board. and it's not just a little she said that it will be a pool back there
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 high output

under the car at the floor pan. if it shows up a day later, its deffinently pooling somewhere, check to see if there is water in the trunk too, because the deck lid (trunk) drains may be blocked and water may be pooling around the edges where the trunk seal is and starts running down hill to the floor. also, does the car have a sun roof or a/c? they have problems with leaks through the cowl area and it runs to the back. here is a link to a forum i found about the issue. these cars are notorious for water leaks. and ive fixed about every one of them. hopes this helps. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f147dda/
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the help