Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Kawasaki ATV Bayou 250 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9
Default Kawasaki ATV Bayou 250 Help!

I wrecked my bayou this weekend. The lines running to the push button start/headlights were severed so I spliced them back together. It started and ran on its own once. After that, I couldn't get it to fire, so I tried jumping it off of my Jeep. The The starter acted like it was dealing with a dead battery and cranked slowly, but it did start right up. However, it died as soon as the jumper cables were disconnected and the tail light wire was frying. Any ideas on what could be the issue? I thought grounding at first, but I can't find any that are off or lose. any ideas?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Banned

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Jmb94
I wrecked my bayou this weekend. The lines running to the push button start/headlights were severed so I spliced them back together. It started and ran on its own once. After that, I couldn't get it to fire, so I tried jumping it off of my Jeep. The The starter acted like it was dealing with a dead battery and cranked slowly, but it did start right up. However, it died as soon as the jumper cables were disconnected and the tail light wire was frying. Any ideas on what could be the issue? I thought grounding at first, but I can't find any that are off or lose. any ideas?

Well I have no knowledge about that but I think it is the battery issue where your car is not acting so just check out at the car center.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the wire splicing isn't getting the voltage like it should? Or when it cut the wires in the wreck you fried something?
I have a Bayou 220 I'll sell ya. Runs great and has a new battery.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Haha I bought this thing two days before I wrecked it... I'm hoping I can fix it for pretty cheap.

I have a buddy that's looking for one though. PM me with details and I'll pass them along if you're serious.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I have a 250 mojave which doesn't have any of the electrical stuff, but my advice would be test the battery to see if it's still any good, and just simply replacing the wire instead of splicing it. it's not like wire is too too expensive. also maybe a new starter wouldn't be too bad of a idea if it's a voltage problem or something.

for parts i suggest motosport.com
they have OEM parts for a bunch of stuff.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

I'll look into that. It actually didn't come with a battery, The PO had always pull started it,and now it won't even pull start without an electical source. I'm leaning more and more towards the 'Generator" as Kawie insists it's called.