Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Jeep Comanche Pickup Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep Comanche Pickup Truck

I have a couple of questions about the Comanche Pickup to anyone who might know as I have seen one I am interested in. I have owned XJ's and YJ's but never a Comanche.

(1) What is the code for a Comanche (like a Cherokee is an XJ)

(2) What years did they make the Comanche, I know it ended late 80'r or early 90's.

(3) Is the Comanche basically the same as the XJ mechanically?

(3) Is 2wd Comanche as useless in the snow and ice as a 2wd XJ (begging the pardon of those who love 2wd).

(4) Did they ever offer the Comanche with a fuel injected 4.0 or were they all carborated?

(5) Do they hold their value more like the wranglers (Around here they want 3k for beat-to-heck old wranglers) or drop off pretty fast like MOST XJ's?

Thanks for any advice,
Keith
Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by k2keith
(1) What is the code for a Comanche (like a Cherokee is an XJ)
MJ

(2) What years did they make the Comanche, I know it ended late 80'r or early 90's.
1986 - 1992 if I remember right.

(3) Is the Comanche basically the same as the XJ mechanically?
Basically, with some suspension differences. I believe the Comanche is spring-under not spring-over in the rear.

(3) Is 2wd Comanche as useless in the snow and ice as a 2wd XJ (begging the pardon of those who love 2wd).
Probably worse, since it will have less weight over the rear axle.

(4) Did they ever offer the Comanche with a fuel injected 4.0 or were they all carborated?
In '86 the 4-cylinder was injected, but the V6 (crappy GM 2.8L) was carburated. In '87 they put in the 4.0L, which had Renix fuel injection.

(5) Do they hold their value more like the wranglers (Around here they want 3k for beat-to-heck old wranglers) or drop off pretty fast like MOST XJ's?
I think they are pretty much on par with XJs, maybe a bit more due to rarity.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

^pretty much spot on. they suck in 2wd in the winter if you dont put any weight in the bed. couple bags of sand and they do alright. 87-90 was Renix 4.0, 91-92 was 4.0 HO. 86s were only longbeds, 92 is the rarest year.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Also Condition is key to the value of the rig There is almost no aftermarket sheetmetal support for these rigs. Floor board rot is comon, and easy to fix... the problem is finding bed sides, and cab corners as well as rocker panels.

As for the body differences. They are exactly the same from the x-member forward. That is where the similarities end. the frame widens in height, and width from there back. For specific questions ask I am sure the MJ experts will know